Somdev not surprised at getting Olympic wild cardJuly 23rd, 2012 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 23 (IANS) Indian tennis player Somdev Devvarman says he was not surprised at getting a singles wild card entry for the London Olympics.
“The news that I got a wild card for the Olympics was not a total surprise, I always had a chance. Anyway I am happy that I got it,” Somdev said during an interaction at the Games Village here.
Asked about his shoulder injury that kept him away from the game for nine months, Somdev said: “This is the first time in my career that I had an injury like that. Yes I used to feel the shoulder pain but I overlooked it and then it became worse. So I had a surgery in November and now I am fully fit.”
Somdev said he was prepared for the Olympics despite the forced break.
“Look I have been preparing and playing for last 15 years and by now I am feeling superb and mentally prepared.
“After the 2010 Asian Games where I was at my peak, I played against the top players - be it Nadal, Federer or Murray. I also beat some players who were among the top 30. I was number 62, the highest ranking any Indian men’s player had earned after Ramesh Krishnan.”
Somdev made it clear that he will be concentrating on singles in the near future.
“Oh yes that is for sure, I am 27-year old and have a few more years to go, so I will prefer playing singles.
“When I started playing, my dream was to represent the country. The dream has been fulfilled. I have been lucky to do something for my country. I became the first Indian to win a singles gold at Asian Games. I have done reasonably well in Davis Cup,” he said.
He said he had some highs and few lows in his career but “I suppose this happens with every player. Tennis has become a very demanding sport and it takes a toll on your body.”
Somdev said he was keen to meet US basketball players and Jamaican star runner Usain Bolt during the Olympics. “I am also looking forward to meet some other sporting greats,” he added.
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Paes to partner Bhupathi at London Olympics (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Paes' Olympic partner hangs fire - Jan 01, 2012
- Somdev hopeful of strong result in Chennai Open - Dec 30, 2010
- Sonia, Somdev get wild card entry for London Olympics - Jun 26, 2012
- Olympic tennis captain Misra has high hopes from players - Jul 14, 2012
- Vardhan hopes to shine on Wimbledon grass - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Last chance for Paes and Bhupathi (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- We need another player in world's top-100: Somdev - Sep 20, 2011
- My dream is to win Davis Cup for India: Somdev - Dec 27, 2010
- Somdev eyes Olympic spot, top-50 position in 2012 - Dec 26, 2011
- Asiad performance shows the depth in Indian tennis: Bhupathi - Dec 06, 2010
- Full text of AITA release - Jun 15, 2012
- Teenager Ghosh aims to create a flutter in London - Jul 17, 2012
- Sania tears apart AITA, doesn't spare Paes and Bhupathi (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: asian games, basketball players, bolt, davis cup, federer, few more years, indian men, indian tennis, interaction, london olympics, lows, nine months, olympics, shoulder injury, shoulder pain, somdev devvarman, sporting greats, star runner, tennis player, wild card