Somdev goes down fighting to KimNovember 9th, 2009 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Charlottesville (Virginia), Nov 9 (IANS) India’s Somdev Devvarman saved three match points but fell short against American Kevin Kim 4-6, 7-6 (10-8), 4-6 in the final of the $50,000 Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Challenger tournament.
The Indian came back strongly after losing the first set. He saved three match points in the second set to draw level. But in the end Kim, ranked No.87, managed to edge past Devvarman in the thrilling baseline slugfest here Sunday.
“It’s disappointing to lose in the finals,” Somdev said.
“But it’s just another match and I will learn from it. I am playing at Knoxville next and try to perform better.”
Somdev, who is based here and twice won the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) representing University of Virginia, said he loved every moment playing here.
“The crowd was cheering for me. It was awesome to play in front of my friends,” he said.
“I love playing here and really grateful to all the support that came my way.”
Second seeded Kim said he felt relieved after the match that had endless rallies.
“I thought it took me I don’t how many match points to get through with the match,” Kim said.
“Every match point was at least 30 balls. It was a torture.”
Kim had survived a scare in the quarterfinal against another India player Sanam Singh, a University of Virginia sophomore.
Kim was leading 4-3 in the final set against Somdev when he had a fall.
“I knew once I fell to the ground, I kind of knew my chances of staying in a long rally weren’t good so I kind of attacked him and that paid off.”
- Somdev, Sanam in quarters of Charlottesville ATP Challenger - Nov 06, 2009
- Somdev in second round of Legg Mason Tennis Classic - Aug 03, 2011
- Asian Games tennis: Somdev-Sanam win gold, Sania-Vishnu silver (Lead) - Nov 22, 2010
- National Tennis: Vishnu, Yuki breeze into semis - Oct 13, 2011
- Somdev, Bopanna beaten at Leg Mason Tennis Classic - Aug 05, 2011
- Somdev knocks out Xavier Malisse, to meet Nadal - Mar 15, 2011
- Indians knocked out of Chennai Open singles (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Somdev advances, Harsh-Huey ousted from Charlottesville challenger - Nov 04, 2009
- Davis Cup: India go down 1-4 to defending champions Serbia (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2011
- Somdev to meet Kim in Charlottesville Challenger final - Nov 08, 2009
- French Open: Somdev crashes out in first round - May 24, 2011
- Somdev qualifies for Legg Mason Tennis Classic main draw - Aug 03, 2009
- India in Davis Cup World Group after 11 years (Roundup) - Sep 21, 2009
- Davis Cup: Somdev goes down fighting, India lose to Serbia (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Somdev loses in Atlanta quarterfinals - Jul 23, 2011
Tags: association of tennis professionals, atp challenger, balls, baseline, challenger tournament, charlottesville virginia, collegiate athletic association, kevin kim, match point, match points, national collegiate athletic, national collegiate athletic association, quarterfinal, rallies, rally, sanam singh, scare, somdev devvarman, sophomore kim, university of virginia