Somdev beats Prakash in Australian Open qualifier openerJanuary 14th, 2009 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 14 (IANS) India’s new tennis star Somdev Devvarman overpowered a stoic Prakash Amritraj to enter the second round of men’s qualifying singles at the Australian Open here Wednesday. Fresh from his success at the Chennai Open where he reached the finals, Somdev, ranked 154, squandered a set advantage but recovered to beat Prakash 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 in nearly one and a half hours.
Prakash, ranked 209, hit more winners (21 to Somdev’s 13), but it was the unforced winners by the India’s no. 2 player that let him down. Prakash made 15 unforced errors to Somdev’s six.
Somdev next meets Poland’s Lukasz Kubot, who beat Frenchmen Edouard Roger Vasselin
3-6, 6-3, 6-1.
- Somdev overpowers Prakash in Australian Open qualifiers (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- Somdev, Prakash advance in Australian Open qualifiers - Jan 13, 2010
- Australian Open: Sania, Paes move on, Somdev-Prakash out - Jan 22, 2010
- Indians knocked out of Chennai Open singles (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna shocked in French Open first round - May 31, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Prakash out of Australian Open qualifiers - Jan 14, 2010
- Chennai Open: Goffin ousts Malisse - Jan 03, 2012
- Yuki advances; Vishnu flatters to deceive (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Aircel ATP Tennis: Nishikori eliminates champ Cilic - Jan 03, 2011
- Somdev out of Australian Open qualifiers - Jan 16, 2009
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Paes in mixed quarters, beaten in men's doubles (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Somdev, Prakash in Wimbledon qualifiers second round - Jun 14, 2010
- Somdev, Prakash crash out, Bopanna advances in Bangkok - Mar 17, 2009