Somdev advances, Harsh-Huey ousted from Charlottesville challengerNovember 4th, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Charlottesville (Virginia), Nov 4 (IANS) India’s Somdev Devvarman was stretched to three sets by Hungarian wildcard Denes Lukacs before winning 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 in the first round of $50,000 Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) tournament here.
Third-seeded Somdev’s win Tuesday has pitted him against South African Davis Cupper Izak Van Der Merwe in the next round. Van Der Merwe defeated compatriot and the doubles partner, Raven Klasssen 6-4, 6-4 in the first round.
However, the top seeded pair of India’s Harsh Mankad and the Philippines’ Treat Conrad Huey crashed out of the first round with a 7-6(1), 7-5 loss to Americans Cory Parr and Todd Paul.
India’s Sanam Singh, a University of Virginia sophomore and a National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) semifinalist last spring, has also advanced to the second round.
Sanam Monday shocked 156th-ranked and sixth-seeded Grega Zemlja of Slovakia 6-2, 5-7, 6-4 and now plays American Scoville Jenkins.
- Somdev, Sanam in quarters of Charlottesville ATP Challenger - Nov 06, 2009
- Chennai Open: Indians flop in qualifiers - Jan 01, 2012
- Somdev in Aptos Challenger semis - Jul 18, 2009
- Somdev, Prakash lose in Knoxville Challenger - Nov 12, 2009
- Somdev-Raja, Mankad-Huey out of Knoxville Challenger semis - Nov 14, 2009
- Somdev, Raja in ATP Challenger semifinals - Nov 13, 2009
- Somdev in Aptos quarterfinals - Jul 16, 2009
- Mankad qualifies for Wimbledon doubles - Jun 17, 2010
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Somdev in Charlottesville challenger semis; Sanam bows out - Nov 07, 2009
- Somdev makes first round exit from Farmers Classic - Jul 26, 2011
- Somdev-Huey shock top seeds to enter Farmers Classic quarters - Jul 28, 2011
- Wimbledon: Prakash loses, Mankad qualifies for doubles (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Yuki advances; Vishnu flatters to deceive (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- US Open: Paes-Bhupathi beat Somdev-Huey to enter quarterfinals - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: association of tennis professionals, atp tournament, charlottesville virginia, collegiate athletic association, compatriot, cupper, denes, harsh mankad, huey, izak, lukacs, national collegiate athletic, national collegiate athletic association, parr, sanam singh, scoville jenkins, somdev devvarman, van der merwe, winning 6, zemlja