Snooker: Advani downs Steve DavisAugust 21st, 2012 - 12:47 am ICT by IANS
Sheffield, Aug 20 (IANS) India’s Pankaj Advani, down 1-4, bounced back to defeat legendary Steve Davis 6-5 in the second round of the qualifying tournament for the International Championship snooker tournament here Monday.
Advani, who had beaten World No.86 Craig Steadman of Britain 6-1 - aided by two century breaks (105, 117), was slow off the blocks against six-time World champion Davis, but gathered himself well to prevail.
Davis took a 3-0 lead, but Advani fought back to win the fourth frame only to have the 55-year old former World No.1 move to 4-1 and put the Indian under pressure.
Maintaining his calm composure, Advani won the next four frames to go 5-4 up, but Davis caught up for 5-5 to push the match into the decider frame.
He opened the final frame with a break of 51 to lead 67-8, and went on to seal the match 6-5 for a memorable victory.
Advani is now drawn to play the veteran Scottish professional Allan McManus in the penultimate round of the qualifiers for one of the richest tournaments on the tour.
- Advani scalps McManus - Aug 21, 2012
- Snooker: Advani qualifies for main draw - Aug 23, 2012
- Advani in snooker qualifier semis (Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- Pankaj Advani qualifies for semis - Aug 27, 2012
- Selby ends Advani's run in European snooker - Aug 27, 2012
- Advani makes it to round of 16 - Aug 11, 2012
- Mehta gets better of White - Aug 22, 2012
- Walker, Ayouri snuff out Indian challenge - Dec 02, 2011
- World snooker: Advani loses twice - Jul 05, 2012
- Aditya Mehta wins Kolkata Open snooker - May 09, 2012
- Advani prevails, Mehta loses - Jun 14, 2012
- Advani qualifies for International Championship - Aug 22, 2012
- European snooker: Advani beats English veteran Mark King - Aug 26, 2012
- Kothari clinches All India Snooker title - Aug 11, 2012
- Mehta eases into semis of National Snooker Championship - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,