Sneijder apologises to Dutch fans after defeatJune 14th, 2012 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kharkiv (Ukraine), June 14 (IANS) Wesley Sneijder has apologised for the poor performance of the Dutch football team at the ongoing Euro 2012 Championship.
“I would like to apologise to everyone,” he said in an interview with Dutch broadcaster NOS Wednesday after losing 1-2 to Germany.
“I hope the people still stay behind us. Even tonight, they helped us in the final phase with their fantastic support. They arrived en masse to support us here and that is important to us.
“This defeat is very hard,” Sneijder added. “We did not see it coming. I really felt that we could beat the Germans.”
The Netherlands trailed 0-2 after the first half courtesy goals by Mario Gomez.
“We started well and created chances,” Sneijder said.
“It’s a heavy blow, I really thought that we were ousted. I did not think of any other scenario, but it’s not over yet.”
After two consecutive defeats, the Netherlands can still reach the quarter-finals if they beat Portugal with two goals difference (or more) Sunday and Germany beat Denmark.
- Euro 2012 Group B Preview: Many challenges in Group of Death - Jun 05, 2012
- Netherlands wary of German challenge in Euro 2012 - Dec 03, 2011
- Dutch still have chance despite defeat - Jun 14, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- Portugal calm despite win-or-bust Denmark test - Jun 13, 2012
- Dutch seek inspiration from 1988 Euro win - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Last chance to change for Dutch team - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Organised Portugal makes me proud: Coach - Jun 18, 2012
- We can still make it, says Portugal's Pepe - Jun 10, 2012
- Denmark defeat was like a bad movie: Robben - Jun 10, 2012
- Great day for me, says German debutant Lars Bender - Jun 18, 2012
- Germany's Gomez got lucky: Portugal coach - Jun 10, 2012
- Germany beats Portugal 1-0 in Euro 2012 - Jun 10, 2012
- Netherlands coach suggests he may lose job - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: apologises, broadcaster, denmark, dutch fans, dutch football team, euro 2012, final phase, germans, germany, june 14, mario gomez, netherlands, poor performance, portugal, quarter finals, ukraine, wesley sneijder