Smith, Tendulkar shine as Mumbai Indians demolish Royals (lead)May 21st, 2012 - 2:05 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, May 21 (IANS) Dwayne Smith and Sachin Tendulkar shared the highest opening stand in the Indian Premier League (IPL) to propel Mumbai Indians to a 10-wicket victory over Rajasthan Royals in the final league match of the T20 tournament here Sunday.
Smith smashed 87 off 58 balls while Tendulkar struck a fluent 58 off 51 as Mumbai overcame the target with 12 balls to spare. Medium pacer Dhawal Kulkarni (3/18) starred with the ball before his side cantered to a morale-boosting win ahead of its knock-out game against Chennai Super Kings in Bangalore Wednesday.
The 163-run partnership between the master blaster and Smith saw 16 fours besides three big ones coming from the bat of the West Indian. The memorable opening stand surpassed the effort of Chennai Super Kings’ Murali Vijay and Michael Hussey, who had made 159 against Royal Challengers Bangalore in the 2011 edition.
While Mumbai had already qualified for the play-offs as the third-placed team, Royals were playing for pride after being eliminated from the competition.
Royals set-up a decent total to end their IPL-V campaign on a high but Tendulkar and Smith came up with a special performance to script Mumbai Indians’ victory.
Earlier, Royals blasted 56 off the last five overs to push the score beyond 150.
The in-form opening combination of Ajinkya Rahane (13) and Rahul Dravid (5) fell cheaply, leaving the team at 32 for two in 5.2 overs.
Star all-rounder Shane Watson (45) along with Stuart Binny (30) steadied the innings with a 53-run stand.
Watson was once again at his belligerent best, hitting fours and a couple of sixes in his 36-ball innings.
Binny too was impressive during his cameo. The highlight of his innings was hammering opposition skipper Harbhajan Singh for 22 runs in the 10th over.
Owais Shah chipped in with an unbeaten 28.
- Dwayne Smith wins last-ball thriller for Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Rajasthan thrash Pune to keep playoff hopes alive (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Morkel, Srikanth heroics give Super Kings four-wicket win (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bat against Mumbai Indians - May 20, 2012
- Super Kings dump Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Rayudu, Pollard fashion sensational win for Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Chandila takes first hat-trick of IPL-V as Royals trounce Warrios (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Scoreboard: Mumbai Indians vs Rajasthan Royals, IPL - May 21, 2012
- Bi-partisan fans root for cricket in Eliminator (IPL Diary) - May 24, 2012
- Must win game for Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals - May 09, 2012
- Mumbai Indians to field against Super Kings - May 23, 2012
- IPL: Lucky Super Kings take on upbeat Mumbai Indians Wednesday - May 23, 2012
- Last ball win for Super Kings against Rajasthan Royals - Apr 21, 2012
- Kings XI thrash Rajasthan Royals by 48 runs (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Rajasthan Royals thrash Kings XI Punjab by 43 runs (Lead) - May 06, 2012
Tags: bangalore, binny, cameo, challengers, knock out, master blaster, medium pacer, michael hussey, mumbai, murali, play offs, premier league, rahul, rounder, sachin tendulkar, shane watson, sixes, skipper, target, wicket victory