Smith, McKenzie break 53-year-old Indian Test opening partnership recordMarch 1st, 2008 - 8:04 pm ICT by admin
Chittagong, Mar.1 (ANI): South African opening batsmen Graeme Smith and Neil McKenzie today broke the Test world record for the best opening partnership set 53 years ago by Indian openers Vinoo Mankad and Pankaj Roy.
Smith and McKenzie were involved in a 415-run opening partnership against Bangladesh in the second Test being played here that surpassed the 413-run partnership set by Mankad and Roy against New Zealand in Chennai in 1956.
South Africa ended up with a score of 583 for 7 declared in which Smith scored 232 and McKenzie 226. In reply, Bangladesh scored 60 for 3 and trai by 523 runs.
The record was set at the Chittagong Divisional Stadium.
Another Indian duo, Virender Sehwag and Rahul Dravid, came close to breaking the mark in 2006, but fell just four runs short against Pakistan in Lahore. (ANI)
- Smith-McKenzie set opening stand world record - Mar 01, 2008
- Smith-McKenzie nine short of Mankad-Roy world record - Feb 29, 2008
- Peterson third South African to hit debut century (Statistical Highlights) - Feb 14, 2010
- Bangladesh 67/2 at stumps on fourth day against India - Jan 20, 2010
- Singer of Hippie anthem `San Francisco' dies - Aug 21, 2012
- India beat Bangladesh in Chittagong Test - Jan 21, 2010
- Ashwin century makes up for Tendulkar missing it (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2011
- Kumble extends his world record - Mar 26, 2008
- Bangladesh hold nerves for shock two-wicket defeat of England (Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Haryana in semifinals; Rajasthan, Mumbai and TN on course - Jan 04, 2012
- Lawry, McKenzie to join Oz cricket Hall of Fame on Monday - Feb 14, 2010
- Career highlights of Rahul Dravid - Mar 09, 2012
- McKenzie overcame OCD to be major top-order driving force for Proteas - Dec 09, 2008
- Bangladesh 136/5 at lunch against India - Jan 21, 2010
- Guptill, McCullum fall just shy of new world sixth wicket Test record - Feb 16, 2010
Tags: bangladesh, chennai, graeme smith, indian duo, indian test, mankad, neil mckenzie, pakistan, pankaj roy, partnership, rahul dravid, reply, roy smith, score, second test, sehwag, south africa, test world, trai, world record