Sky Sports football presenter Keys’ wife defends his sexist jibes as “boys’ banter”January 28th, 2011 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 28(ANI): Sky Sports football presenter Richard Keys, who resigned from his 500,000 pounds-a-year job over a sexism scandal, has been defended by his wife, who dismissed his sexist jibes at women as “boys’ banter”.
Keys announced his resignation on Wednesday, just 24 hours after his co-presenter Andy Gray had been sacked from his 1.7 million pounds-a-year job, following the pair’s sexist remarks about female Premier League match official Sian Massey.
Sky Sports had terminated Gray’s contract for “unacceptable and offensive behaviour”.
However, seeking to excuse his behaviour, Keys’ wife Julia said: “With men there are little bits of you that never grow up.”
“It’s banter from the boys. What other people do not understand is the dynamics that go on in the studio.”
“He [Richard] is very aware of the tensions that there are and it not being as relaxed as it would be unless there were playful shenanigans,” she added.
Julia also accused Sky Sports of “giving the wrong two guys the red card”.
“It’s really sad. They contributed so much, putting Sky on the map. Whether you like them personally or not, professionally there’s very few who would knock them,” Julia said.
“It doesn’t quite make sense in a way and it’s questionable the way it has been handled. I think Sky was offside in the way it handled it. It’s very sad after the career Richard has had that it has come to this, but I do not see it as being the end of it,” she added.
Keys, who has been the face of Sky Sports’ football coverage for 20 years, and Gray were originally suspended after they were recorded making sexist remarks off-air about Massey before the Premier League game between Wolverhampton and Liverpool on Saturday.
Further evidence then emerged of Gray making suggestive remarks to co-host Charlotte Jackson and Keys talking about an ex-girlfriend of Jamie Redknapp in deeply misogynist terms. (ANI)
- Sky Sports football presenter Richard Keys resigns over role in sexism scandal - Jan 27, 2011
- Sky Sports sacks football pundit Andy Gray over 'unacceptable' sexist behaviour - Jan 26, 2011
- Sky News 'sexist row' presenters close to joining Al Jazeera TV - Jan 29, 2011
- Sky Sports 'sexism row' presenters sign Talksport radio deal - Feb 09, 2011
- Capello backs female officials in football amidst sexism row - Jan 26, 2011
- Now, ex-footie commentator Keys facing racism charge for labelling black player 'choco' - Feb 14, 2011
- Crowd gives sexism-row referee Massey unwelcoming chants on return to Premier League - Feb 14, 2011
- Sky Sports presenter apologises for UK soccer sexism row - Jan 25, 2011
- Andy Gray and Richard Keys In Sexism Row Over Sian Massey - Jan 24, 2011
- Sky Sport's presenters forced to apologise over 'sexist comments' during football match - Jan 24, 2011
- Andy Gray to Sue Sky Sports for £3M - Jan 27, 2011
- Sacked Andy Gray is planning to sue Sky Sports for £3m - Jan 27, 2011
- Now, Ferguson embroiled in sexism row over 1994 letter to female physio - Feb 14, 2011
- Sky should forget signing Gary Neville: Ferguson - Jan 30, 2011
- World's first live 3D sporting event to be screened on Sunday - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: andy gray, banter, charlotte jackson, co host, female premier, football coverage, jamie redknapp, league game, little bits, london jan, massey, misogynist, offensive behaviour, offside, richard keys, sexist remarks, shenanigans, sky sports, sky sports football, wife julia