Skimpy bikinis, female beach volleyball players mantra for gold at Beijing!August 10th, 2008 - 10:43 am ICT by ANI
Washington, August 10 (ANI): Four-time Olympian Natalie Cook has rubbished suggestions that micro-bikinis worn by female beach volleyball players are spectators eye candy, insisting that they are worn for convenience.
The 2000 Olympic gold medallist says that bikinis help players beat the heat.
“We come up against it quite a lot. That is why we wear a bikini because it is hot out there most of the time,”” Fox News quoted Cook, the first female beach volleyballer to go to four Olympic Games, as saying.
Cook, who has been paired with Victorian Tamsin Barnett, also expressed hope that she would win her second Olympic medal.
The two stars formed a partnership at the national championships in 2005-06, and took the prize at their first attempt.
“I really enjoy indoor volleyball still and I love watching it but beach volleyball feels like me. Being outside, it is a lot more relaxed, you interact with other teams a lot more,”” Barnett said.
Cook agreed that their pairing was relatively new, but insisted that her team still had the potential to win gold in Beijing.
“Eighteen months isn”t very long for a beach volleyball team, there is a lot of chemistry and understanding of each other, what buttons to press and what not to press,”” Cook said.
“To understand each other is what it is all about.
“But with Tamsin’’s height at the net, she is 193cm, and her power, and my experience and ability to frustrate teams and put the ball where they are not, hopefully it will be a good combination, she added. (ANI)
- Outrage over sexualized footage of female athletes - Aug 10, 2012
- Medals symbolise sporting glory of athletes (Olympic diary) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic beach volleyball: Germany beats Brazil for its maiden gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Latest craze at the Games: Therapeutic tape (Olympic diary) - Aug 05, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympic beach volleyball: Americans seal third straight gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Brazilian volleyballers take subway to reach venue - Jul 29, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh to set up museum after Dhyan Chand - Jan 24, 2012
- Hoy to carry British flag at Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Pakistan hockey invests in technology to improve players' fitness - Jul 06, 2011
- Injuries to spikers hurt China's Olympics medal hopes - Jul 11, 2012
- China's women duo in Olympic beach volleyball quarters - Aug 04, 2012
- No favourites at London Olympics: Uruguayan football coach - Jul 10, 2012
- Michael Phelps surrounded by bikini-clad girls at Las Vegas pool party - Apr 19, 2011
- Brazil eyes 20 medals at London Games - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: august 10, barnett, beach volleyball team, beijing, bikini, eye candy, fox news, good combination, indoor volleyball, micro bikinis, natalie cook, national championships, olympic games, olympic gold medallist, olympic medal, skimpy bikinis, spectators, tamsin, two stars, volleyball players