Ski Halfpipe to be part of 2014 OlympicsApril 7th, 2011 - 1:55 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Sochi, April 6 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The International Olympic Committee has voted that men and women Ski Halfpipe will be part of the events during the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi. The IOC made the announcement on Wednesday in London.
IOC’s sports director, Christophe Dubi, announced that, “This is a great day. A decision will be made in the coming month [regarding slopestyle] after further feasibility study. We need our experts to review the situation with the organizing committee, FIS [skiing's governing body] as well, prior to making a final decision.”
The IOC however failed to add Men’s and women’s snowboard slopestyle as well as men’s and women’s ski slopestyle to the games in 2014.
The announcement has thrilled halfpipe athletes. They have waited for years for the sport to be added to the Olympic Games. They expressed their delight that at long last the IOC has managed to add the event to the Olympics.
It took the IOC ten months or more to reach a decision on halfpipe. IOC has announced that they would still review ski and snowboard slopestyle in the future. Dubi gave indication that the events might be added to the Olympics in a “matter of weeks.”
- Six new events for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 07, 2011
- 2014 Winter Olympics may include new events - Oct 26, 2010
- Sochi Winter Olympics preparations are on, says Putin - May 12, 2012
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- Snow, rain - and pain for Vonn - as Games get ready - Feb 11, 2010
- Russia plans to send Olympic torch into space - Jul 08, 2011
- IOC chief says no worries as Vancouver readies for winter Olympics - Feb 09, 2010
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Malaysian Tunku Imran is Commonwealth Games Federation's new president - Nov 12, 2011
- Bhopal gas victims write to IOC against Dow - Feb 29, 2012
- Russia unveils new electric train for Sochi Olympics - May 31, 2012
- Training cut back as Olympic venue combats mild weather - Feb 07, 2010
- Russian Winter Olympic mascots to appear on coins - Feb 22, 2012
- Winter Olympics 2014 To Be Held In Sochi, Russia - Feb 13, 2010
- Foreign skiers crowd Manali slopes - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: 2014 olympics sochi, 2014 winter olympic games, christophe, dubi, feasibility study, final decision, governing body, international olympic committee, ioc, london, men and women, olympic games, olympics, organizing committee, s sports, skiing, slopestyle, snowboard, sports director, winter olympic games