Six more Indian hockey players pull out of WSHDecember 1st, 2011 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 1 (IANS) Six more Indian players pulled out of the World Series Hockey (WSH) Thursday citing national camp for the Olympic qualifier that would coincide with the rebel league starting December 17.
The six players — Rupinder Pal Singh, Danish Mujtaba, Kangujam Chinglensana Singh, Manjeet Kullu, Birendra Lakra and Manpreet Singh — in a letter assured the parent body Hockey India (HI) that they would attend the national camp that starts December 11 here at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium. All the players are currently with the national team in the Champions Challenge I in South Africa.
Captain and goalkeeper Bharat Chettri, Sreejesh, ace drag-flicker Sandeep Singh, Tushar Khandekar, Sardar Singh and rising star Yuvraj Walmiki have already pulled out of the league Wednesday.
The six new players in a similarly worded letter to HI secretary-general Narinder Batra said they would not be playing in the WSH at the expense of national duty.
“We are not playing in the World Series Hockey event and we will be attending the national camp in Delhi for the Olympic qualifiers on December 11, 2011, until February 2012. We will be available for selection in the national team for the Olympic qualifiers,” said the letter issued by HI, which bears the signatures of all the six players.
“We signed the contract with World Series Hockey under the impression that WSH will not force us to play and ask us to leave the national camp,” the letter said. “We play for our country and that is a matter of honour and pride for us.”
They said they wanted the WSH to be postponed till the Olympic qualifiers that would be held here from February 15.
“We appeal to World Series Hockey to postpone their tournament after the qualifiers in the national interest,” they said in the letter.
IHF president R.K. Shetty said the players have not approached them with any request.
“The IHF haven’t received any request from the players. It is a ploy to sabotage the WSH,” Shetty said.
- Six top Indian hockey players pull out of WSH - Nov 30, 2011
- WSH gets National Stadium, Olympic camps shifted out - Dec 02, 2011
- Virtually entire hockey squad in WSH list - Nov 17, 2011
- WSH postponed to Feb 29 - Dec 12, 2011
- WSH and IHF to give cash incentives for hockey team's Olympic success - Nov 21, 2011
- World Series Hockey postponed to Feb 29 - Dec 12, 2011
- WSH may decide Saturday to postpone the league - Dec 09, 2011
- Players have to decide between India and WSH: Hockey India - Nov 16, 2011
- No problem if WSH is held after Olympic qualifiers: Chettri - Dec 06, 2011
- Rajpal, Halappa left out from Olympics hockey probables - Feb 27, 2012
- Nimbus loses BCCI telecast rights, puts off hockey league (Roundup) - Dec 12, 2011
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- HI charges IHF with sabotaging India's Olympic preparations - Oct 07, 2011
- HI requests SAI not to allow WSH at National Stadium - Nov 29, 2011
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: batra, bharat, dhyan chand, flicker, hockey event, hockey players, ihf, indian hockey, kullu, manjeet, manpreet singh, matter of honour, mujtaba, narinder, national interest, olympic qualifier, olympic qualifiers, rising star, sardar singh, tushar