Six Indian boxers assured of bronze at Cuban eventJune 5th, 2011 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) Six Indian boxers have made it to the semifinals of the Giraldo Cordova Cardin Memorial Boxing Tournament in Havana and assured themselves of as many bronze medals.
Nanao Singh (49kg), Suranjoy Singh (52kg) and Santosh Harijan (52kg) were the latest ones to enter the last four with Kuldeep Singh (75kg), Manpreet Singh (91kg) and Paramjeet Samota (91kg) securing a semifinal berth earlier.
Nanao, playing his second international tournament of the year, ousted Elsi of Peru 32:9 in what was a clinical performance. The Asian silver medallist, playing in the light fly weight category, completely dominated his opponent from the word go with his tactics and acute skills. He will now meet Muzaparov of Kazakhstan in the semi-finals.
Suranjoy, making his first international appearance since the 2010 Asian games, showed glimpses of his speed and punching abilities as he trounced his Venezuelan opponent Jesus 27:9. He will take on J Neto of Brazil.
Santosh continued his winning streak against Artur Cremildo of Mozambique. The fast moves and the swift counter attacks of the 23 year old left Cremildo completely at bay. He went on to secure his place in the semi-finals with a 32:8 victory and will lock horns with Cuban Ramirez.
Amandeep Singh (49kg) and Shiva Thapa (56kg) however, bowed out of the competition. Amandeep lost to Veitia Yoswany of Cuba 12:22 while Thapa lost to Robenilson of Brazil 17:7. The 17 -year-old Thapa was a bit unlucky as the Brazilian adopted dodgy tactics, which should have earned him a few cautions.
The tournament will also witness two Indian boxers face off each other. Samota, who usually fights in the super heavy weight category, is testing the competition in the heavy weight division and hence will take on compatriot Manpreet , a silver medallist at the 2010 Asian Games.
Kuldeep will take on Dominican Castillo Junior in his semi-final bout.
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Indian boxers off to a good start in Cuba - Jun 03, 2011
- Eight boxers to represent Indian at Asian Championships - Jul 21, 2011
- Top Indian boxers head to Cuba for Olympics' preparation - May 22, 2011
- Asian Games boxing: Santhosh in semis, Amandeep out in quarters - Nov 22, 2010
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Indians boxers asked to switch to aggressive mode - Apr 02, 2012
- Amandeep in final of Asian Confederation boxing - Aug 11, 2011
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Krishan, Manpreet in semis - Nov 21, 2010
- Samota, Thapa win gold at Belgrade boxing event - Apr 24, 2011
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Eight Indian boxers to take part in Belgrade tournament - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: amandeep singh, asian games, bronze medals, cardin, clinical performance, compatriot, cuba 12, final bout, harijan, heavy weight, indian boxers, international appearance, kuldeep singh, manpreet singh, santosh, semi finals, semifinal berth, silver medallist, thapa, weight category