Sindhu knocks out London gold winner out of China Masters (Lead)September 14th, 2012 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Changzhou, Sep 14 (IANS) India’s P.V. Sindhu played the match of her life to knock London Olympics gold winner Li Xuerui out of the China Masters Superseries badminton event here Friday and advance to the semifinals.
Sindhu, seen as another emerging world-class player after Saina Nehwal, held her nerve for a 21-19, 9-21, 21-16 win over the World No.2, who is also the reigning All England champion.
The 45-minute battle was an absorbing one with both players making a slew of unforced errors while going for their shots.
The way Xuerui, 21, fought back after losing the first game, it seemed she would run away with the match. But the 17-year-old Indian showed remarkable grit in the decider to record the biggest win of her career.
Sindhu ran to hug her coach Pullela Gopichand after Xuerui netted a back hand on the first match-point.
The Hyderabadi defeated an opponent who has been the best player of the year, winning four titles besides the Olympic gold at London.
- Four Indians in quarters of China Masters - Sep 13, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- Varma, Pawar lose in Korea Open Superseries qualifier - Jan 03, 2012
- Saina wins third Indonesia Open title (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Saina, Kashyap storm into semis (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Saina aims for greater feats after Olympic bronze (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Saina changes Bejing heartbreak into Olympic bronze (Profile) - Aug 04, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- I want to be World No.1 shuttler, says Hyderabadi Sindhu (Interview) - Jul 19, 2012
- Saina scrapes past Xuerui to win third Indonesia Open crown (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: 17 year old, best player, decider, england champion, first game, gold winner, gopichand, grit, hyderabadi, london gold, london olympics, masters, match point, nerve, olympic gold, olympics, opponent, slew, superseries badminton, unforced errors