Silver, bronze India’s first medals in CWG 2010 (Evening Lead)October 4th, 2010 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 4 (IANS) Women weightlifters gave India its first medals in the 2010 Commonwealth Games, Soniya Chanu winning a silver and Sandhya Rani Devi the bronze in the 48kg category here Monday. The table tennis women’s team began on a winning note and there was mixed luck in tennis while the swimmers crashed out.
Chanu had a total lift of 165 kg. She lifted 73 kg in snatch and 94kg in the clean and jerk section.
Sandhya Rani had a total lift of 165kg (snatch 70kg, clean and jerk 95 kg).
The gold, the first medal of CWG 2010, went to Nigerian Augustina Nwaokolo, who also set a Commonwealth record. She had a total lift of 175kg, with 77kg in the snatch and 98kg in the clean and jerk sections.
The women’s table tennis team had an easy match against the Sri Lankans, beating them by 3-0 at the Yamuna Sports Complex in less than an hour.
Shamini Kumaresan won the first singles 11-9, 11-9, 11-7 against Vithanage Gonapinuwala.
In the second match, India No.1 Mouma Das defeated Badu Manniku 11-4, 11-5, 11-4 while Veteran Poulomi Ghatak won the third beating Kavindi Sahabandu 11-8, 11-8, 11-7.
India’s coach Bhawani Mukherjee said it was a good warm-up before the tougher tie against New Zealand.
The women’s team, bronze medallists four years ago, is grouped with Sri Lanka and New Zealand in Group D. They are seeded seeded fourth in the tournament.
Rohan Bopanna defeated Ugandan Robert Buyinza 6-1, 6-4 in the first round of the men’s singles tennis event at the R. K. Khanna stadium on a bright and clear morning.
However, Rohan Bopanna and Nirupama Sanjeev lost 6-3, 3-6 and 6-3 to highly fancied Australian pair Anastasia Rodionova and Paul Hanley in the mixed doubles first round.
India’s men’s 4×100 metres freestyle relay swimming team qualified for the finals but finished sixth, as they had in the heats at the at the S.P.Mukherjee Aquatics Complex.
In the men’s 50m backstroke, Badrinath Melkote clocked 27.52 secs to qualify for the semi-finals, but couldn’t move any further.
Indian swimmers also failed to qualify in the women’s 200m freestyle, men’s 400m freestyle, women’s 200m individual medley, men’s 200m butterfly and women’s 50m breaststroke.
Women’s hockey matches also started Monday with Coetzee Pietie marked her return from retirement by slamming four goals as South Africa pounded Trinidad and Tobago 12-0 in pool A.
Pietie, the 32-year-old forward and penalty-corner specialist, came out of a self-imposed five-year absence from competitive hockey and showed she was none the worse for it by slotting home the goals as the South Africans ran riot at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
“Everything went to plan today (Monday) and it is a privilege to score a hat-trick in an international match,” said Pietie, who showcased her versatility with two penalty-corner conversions and as many field goals.
New Zealand overcame first match nerves to post a 5-1 win over Wales in their opening pool B match.
- Lifters win India's first four medals at CWG 2010 (Night Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Lifters Soniya, Sandhya win India's first medals in CWG 2010 - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Silver for Sukhen, Srinivasa gets bronze - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Soniya, Sandhya win first medals for India (LEAD) - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
- We are not here to make up the numbers: Weightlifting coach - Jul 19, 2012
- Monday's Commonwealth Games schedule - Oct 04, 2010
- Olympics: Boxers shine as tennis duo knocked out (Overall Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Devendro shine on a dismal day (India Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- CWG: Weightlifter Ravi bags 11th Gold; India sparkles with 22 medals on Day-3 (update) - Oct 06, 2010
- Olympics: Vijender, Kashyap and Ghosh keep India's spirits up (Overall Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Soumyajit bring hope on a gloomy day for India (India round-up) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: North Korean weight-lifter breaks world record - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, 4x100, backstroke, badrinath, bronze medallists, commonwealth record, freestyle relay, ghatak, mixed doubles, nirupama, paul hanley, rodionova, rohan bopanna, sanjeev, sri lankans, swimming team, table tennis team, team bronze, tennis event, tennis women