Silva next target for Real MadridJuly 2nd, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, July 2 (DPA) David Silva is the next target for profligate Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, according to sports papers Marca and AS Thursday.
Marca claims that Perez is prepared to spend up to 25 million euros (35.21 million dollars) on the Valencia forward, who hardly played for Spain in the Confederations Cup because of muscle problems.
Perez has taken world football by storm since returning as president of Real June 1, splashing out around 210 million euros on Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, Raul Albiol and Karim Benzema.
AS suggests that Perez is prepared to spend up to 300 million euros - far and way a world record for an club in one summer - building a team capable of challenging European champions Barcelona.
Perez has been criticised for his profligacy in times of crisis by various politicians and church leaders, but has vowed to continue his spending spree.
He is still interested in Franck Ribery of Bayern Munich and Liverpool pair Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa.
However, the signing of Benzema means that his interest in Valencia striker David Villa has cooled. Indeed, Barcelona are now close to signing the Euro 2008 top scorer, for around 40 million euros.
- Cristiano Ronaldo welcomed to Madrid by 85,000 fans - Jul 07, 2009
- Cristiano Ronaldo arrives in Madrid for Real presentation - Jul 06, 2009
- 40,000 fans welcome Kaka to Real Madrid - Jul 01, 2009
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Real Madrid prepare to take on Ajax in Champions League - Sep 26, 2011
- Real Madrid want Sunday afternoon games to capture Asian market - Jul 16, 2009
- Alba lone new face in Spain's squad for Euro 2012 qualifiers - Sep 30, 2011
- Liverpool confirm sale of Arbeloa to Real Madrid - Jul 29, 2009
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Real Madrid's 55 million pounds bid for Franck Ribery - Jul 05, 2009
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Real Madrid's priority changes from purchases to sale - Jul 14, 2009
- Ribery wants to leave Munich, but only for Real - Jul 02, 2009
- Barcelona ahead of Real Madrid in 'Operation Exit' - Jul 31, 2009
Tags: bayern munich, church leaders, confederations cup, cristiano ronaldo, david silva, euro 2008, european champions, florentino perez, franck ribery, karim benzema, madrid madrid, marca, muscle problems, profligacy, raul albiol, real madrid, spending spree, target, top scorer, world football