‘Sick man’ Gazza wants 12-week rehab programme to workJuly 22nd, 2010 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 22(ANI): Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne insists that he is serious about his latest bid to beat his booze addiction.
Gascoigne has completed the detox stage of a 12-week programme at the Providence Projects clinic in Boscombe, Bournemouth.
“I pray to God this one (rehab) works. I’ve not come for a holiday, I’m a sick person trying to get well,” The Mirror quoted Gascoigne, as saying.”It’s true what they say, one drink is too many and 50 is not enough. I don’t go out for a drink - I go out to get drunk. It’s not a social thing. I enjoy myself more when I’m sober.”
“My hope is to complete the 12-week programme, but I’ll stay as long as it takes to be the person I want to be. I’ve got deals ready to be on the table for when I get well and I want to write a new book,” he added.
The 43-year-old had checked into the clinic after his bizarre bid to intervene the stand-off between shotgun madman Raoul Moat and police.
He turned up at the police cordon, apparently drunk, and demanded to speak to the killer, whom he knew from Moat’s days as a nightclub bouncer in Newcastle.
Gazza admitted that it was his dad John who urged him to try the rehab clinic because he “wasn’t too happy” when he heard about the incident.
“I’d had a few drinks. It didn’t look good on me, but I put that down to the drink. When I got back my dad wasn’t too happy. He said, ‘Get yourself away and try somewhere else’,” Gascoigne added. (ANI)
- Gascoigne back in rehab following cocaine arrest - Oct 25, 2010
- Tipsy Gazza claims he use to provide criminal Moat with lager and chicken - Jul 10, 2010
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- Gascoigne regrets turning down Fergie's Man U offer earlier in his career - Mar 09, 2011
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- Gazza accused of 'groping shopgirl' - Jul 20, 2010
- No more alcohol for Ronnie Wood - Nov 16, 2011
- Gazza, Greaves, to undertake stage show - Mar 24, 2011
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Gazza feels gutted about criminal Moat's death - Jul 12, 2010
- Gazza faces Christmas behind bars after failing to appear before court - Nov 12, 2010
- Gazza treats dad to bling and shops for jewellery - Apr 09, 2009
- I drank to numb my depression: Harding - Dec 13, 2011
- Pattinson enjoys at bar post Stewart episode - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: addiction, booze, bournemouth, dad john, drinks, england footballer, gazza, madman, mirror, moat, newcastle, nightclub bouncer, paul gascoigne, police cordon, providence, raoul, rehab clinic, shotgun, sick man, sick person