Shooters, Wrestlers shine for India in CYGOctober 15th, 2008 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Oct 15 (IANS) Shooters and wrestlers led India’s medal haul on the fourth day of the Commonwealth Youth Games (CYG), keeping the hosts comfortably perched at the top of the tally at Shree Shiv Chatrapati sports city in Balewadi here.Both shooting and wrestling fetched India three golds each while another yellow metal came in weightlifting.
India now leads the tally with 28 medals with England far behind at the second spot with 16 medals.
India’s gold quest was started by 17-year-old Deepika Patelin in women’s 10 metre air pistol event. A science student from Varanasi, Deepika looked confident as she shot 470.2 against her second-placed Singaporian rival’s 464.3 points.
“The credit goes to my parents and my coach S.P Bhattacharya,” she said.
Lakshya Bansal fetched another gold in the 25m pistol, logging 567 points, beating nearest rival Canada’s Henry Mathew James (547 pts). The bronze went to Bin Alias Mohd Zul Fadzli of Malaysia, who scored 499.
The shooting squad won its third gold of the day through Asher Noria Gusti in the Double Trap. The Hyderabadi, coached by World Cup champion Ronjan Sodhi, pocketed 180 points.
India mised out on a perfect four for the day as Rushad Damania settled for a bronze in the Free Rifle prone men’s event. England’s Huckle James won the gold while Malaysia’s Muhammad Zubair took the silver.
In wrestling, Amit Kumar won the gold in the 50kg category, while Jitender added another in the 54kg category. Rahul Aware won the third gold in the men’s freestyle.
Weightlifter S. Yamini struck gold in the 58 kg category, lifting 98 Kg in clean and jerk and 80 kg in snatch.
India’s swimming sensation, Vir Dhaval Khade won silver in the men’s 200m Freestyle. Australian Napoleon Ryan claimed gold, setting a Games record of 1:49:62.
In Athletics, Poovamma Raju took a silver in the 400m. Nachula Rachael of Zambia claimed the gold with a new Games’ record of 52.97.
- CWG: Archer Deepika Kumari wins 25th gold for India - Oct 10, 2010
- CWG: Indian men shoot gold, women archers bronze (Afternoon lead) - Oct 07, 2010
- Wrestlers clinch two more Gold medals for India at C'wealth Games - Oct 09, 2010
- India maintains slender edge from England for second place in CWG - Oct 09, 2010
- CWG: Weightlifter Ravi bags 11th Gold; India sparkles with 22 medals on Day-3 (update) - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG: India retains second position with five more Gold medals on Day-7 - Oct 10, 2010
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Best-ever Games tally makes for India's euphoric Sunday (Intro Night Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Indian players continue winning in Commonwealth Games with 28 Gold, 19 Silver, 22 Bronze - Oct 10, 2010
- Weightlifter Geeta wins 14th Gold for India in free style at C'wealth Games - Oct 07, 2010
- CWG: India set for record gold haul, thrash Pakistan in hockey (Night Lead) - Oct 10, 2010
- CWG: India continue winning spree on day-3 with 10 Gold, 7 silver, 4 bronze medals - Oct 06, 2010
- Wrestling team wins three medals in Madrid tournament - Jul 12, 2010
- CWG: 34 medal-winning India holds on second position on Day-4 - Oct 07, 2010
- Indian shooters, archers, wrestlers sparkle (Roundup) - Oct 08, 2010