Shooter Gagan sets world record at Olympic testJuly 5th, 2008 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) Indian shooter Gagan Narang won the gold and surpassed the air rifle men’s world record at an Olympic test event held at Hannover in Germany. Narang’s score of 704.3 was 1.2 more than the existing world record of 703.1 set by Austrian shooter Thomas Farnik in the World Cup finals held at Grenada in 2006.
Gagan shot a score of 599 in the qualifications and then followed it up with an excellent score of 105.3 in the final round Wednesday. In the sixth qualification series he shot 9.9 which prevented him from obtaining a perfect score of 600/600.
“By any standard this is a wonderful performance and it is above the world record score. The range authorities were naturally happy with this highest ever score made by anyone in their range and I feel it might take a lot of time before anyone can break this record,” said national coach Sunny Thomas.
“I am happy he is training and shaping very well for the Beijing Olympics. There is a lot of difference between shooting a high score in a training session than that from shooting it in a competition and, that too competing against shooters who have qualified for the Beijing Olympics. I am very sure that this will boost Gagan’s confidence and inspire him to shoot a great score in the Olympics,” he added.
- After hockey, shooting is India's most successful Olympic sport - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- CWG Shooting: Narang edges past Bindra to take the gold - Oct 06, 2010
- Needed a little luck: Bindra (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: India pins hopes on shooters Abhinav, Gagan - Jul 29, 2012
- I am sure Gagan will do well: Bindra (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- CWG shooting: Narang rues missing his perfect 600 score - Oct 05, 2010
- Shooters swell Indian gold kitty (Roundup) - Oct 06, 2010
- Narang emerges out of Bindra's shadow (Profile) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Karmakar finishes fourth in 50m rifle prone (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- London Olympics can see a record number of Indian shooters - Jun 12, 2011
- CWG Shooting: Gagan Narang equals world record - Oct 06, 2010
- India's gold kitty at Commonwealth Games swells to 10 (Evening Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: air rifle men, authorities, beijing olympics, confidence, gagan, hannover, high score, narang, national coach, New Delhi, olympic test event, olympics, perfect score, qualification series, record score, shooter, shooters, training session, world cup finals, world record