Shokeen advances to second round of ITF FuturesApril 20th, 2009 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 20 (IANS) India’s Vivek Shokeen staved off a stoic resistance from compatriot N. Vijay Sundar Prashanth to enter the second round of the $15,000 BHEL International Tennis Federation (ITF) men’s Futures at the DLTA complex here Monday.
Shokeen, who is making a comeback this year after missing the large part of 2008 due to a wrist injury, beat Prashanth 7-5, 7-6 (5) in one hour and 55 minutes.
Shokeen showed good court-craft and hit big forehand winners to rattle Prashanth but had problems in tackling his opponent’ top spin returns.
Shokeen was quick off the block when he broke Prashanth in the very first game of the match but was broken back in the fourth game. He then broke Prashanth in the eleventh game before serving out the set.
The two traded breaks early in the second set and later in the eighth and the ninth game to enforce the tie-break, where Shokeen prevailed.
Shokeen next plays the winner of the first round match between fifth seed Vishnu Vardhan and Thai Peerakit Siributwong.
In the other matches Monday, Viyay Kannan beat Abhijeet Tiwari 6-2, 6-4 while Vijayant Malik went down fighting to Japanese Takuto Niki 2-6, 7-5, 4-6.
- Close call for Vijay Sundar - Jul 24, 2012
- Sharma ousts Giner in ITF tennis - May 01, 2012
- Sheethal beats top ranked Rushmi to reach national grasscourt final - Dec 25, 2009
- Vignesh upsets Gajjar, Yuki breezes into ITF quarters - Jun 08, 2011
- Karunuday to meet Malik in ITF final - Jun 10, 2011
- Gide, Sharan exit early from National Grasscourt Tennis - Dec 23, 2009
- Good day for Sudanwa at ITF tourney - Jul 23, 2012
- ITF Futures: Prashanth ousts Rastogi - Apr 29, 2011
- Yuki has it easy in the ITF tournament opener - Jun 30, 2009
- Ashutosh shocks third seed; enters ITF tournament quarters (Lead) - Jul 01, 2009
- Ashutosh through to last eight, Shivika out of national tennis - Mar 02, 2011
- Tennis: Nelord, Vignaesh ousted, unseeded Wagh in semis - Mar 03, 2011
- Malik leads way into last eight of ITF tennis - May 02, 2012
- Gajjar, Yuki reach second round of ITF - May 11, 2010
- Gajjar crashes out, Yuki reaches second round of ITF (Lead) - May 11, 2010
Tags: abhijeet, compatriot, fifth seed, first game, futures, international tennis federation, itf, kannan, malik, match, New Delhi, opponent, sundar, takuto, tie break, top spin, vijay, vishnu vardhan, vivek, wrist injury