Shocked to learn about Shivendra’s ban: Sohail AbbasMarch 3rd, 2010 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 2 (IANS) Veteran Pakistani hockey player Sohail Abbas said his team was surprised to learn that India’s centre forward Shivendra Singh was suspended for two matches for what the International Hockey federation (FIH) called hitting Fareed Ahmed “deliberately” during the match between the two subcontinental sides.
During India’s 4-1 win over Pakistan Sunday, Shivendra’s stick found Fareed Ahmed who suffered a cut above his eye.
Tournament director Ken Read slapped a three-match ban on Shivendra and said that it was “deliberate and a reckless action.” But a three-member appeals committee that met here Tuesday reduced the ban to two matches and termed the incident as “reckless.”
“We were shocked when we heard about Shivendra’s suspension. Any player playing the World Cup won’t like to miss a game against Australia or Spain. But rules are rules. FIH have taken the rules to ensure that the game is played safely,” said a diplomatic Abbas after his side’s 2-1 victory over Spain Tuesday.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Shivendra Singh's suspension reduced to two matches (Lead) - Mar 02, 2010
- Shivendra's suspension reduced to two matches on appeal (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2010
- FIH denies being harsh on Asian players - Mar 02, 2010
- Shivendra livid, determined to perform on return - Mar 02, 2010
- Pakistanis delighted at support from Indian fans - Mar 03, 2010
- Asian players have always been treated harshly, says Zafar - Mar 01, 2010
- Shivendra gets three-game ban, upset India appeals (Lead) - Mar 01, 2010
- Hockey Federation reduces Shivendra Singh's three-match ban to two (update) - Mar 02, 2010
- Coach Brasa calls Shivendra's three-match ban harsh - Mar 01, 2010
- Shivendra case: No-one to speak up for India (Comment) - Mar 02, 2010
- Shivendra suspended for three World Cup matches - Mar 01, 2010
- Pakistan hockey team leaves for Olympics - Jul 13, 2012
- Hockey Federation reduces Shivendra Singh's three-match ban to two - Mar 02, 2010
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- 14 Pakistanis sign up for Hockey India League auction - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: appeals committee, asian news, australia, fih, game, hockey player, India, indo, international hockey federation, match, New Delhi, news service, pakistan, reckless action, sohail abbas, spain, tournament director, victory, world cup