Shocked Kiwis rally for Aussie gameFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 3:32 pm ICT by ANI
Nagpur, Feb.23 (ANI): New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori is aiming for a World Cup win over Australia to help lift his nation’s spirits after Tuesday’s earthquake in Christchurch claimed the lives of 65 people.
“The greatest thing we can do is beat Australia to hopefully help bring a little relief for the people who are going such a rough time at home,” the Courier Mail quoted Vettori, as saying.
“It’s been a tough day. Five or six of the team and the management crew are based in Christchurch, so it’s been a rough time for them finding out that their families are safe,” he added.
“We all have family or friends in Christchurch, it’s been tough. We are feeling it too and the Canterbury community is in our thoughts and prayers,” Vettori said.
New Zealand’s players, who face defending champions Australia in Nagpur on Friday, regularly used Twitter throughout the day in search of information and to offer condolences.
“Everyone’s families are fine, but quite a numb and flat feeling in the squad,” veteran player Scott Styris wrote. “Training was tough.”
Opening batsman Martin Guptill said the squad’s thoughts were with their compatriots.
“Thoughts go out to the people of Chch today. Terrible thing to have happened again,” Guptill tweeted.
International Cricket Council chief executive Haroon Lorgat said that an appropriate gesture of respect would be made when New Zealand face Australia. (ANI)
- Shocked Black Caps send messages of support via Twitter to Christchurch victims - Feb 23, 2011
- Both New Zealand and Australia have a point to prove (Preview) - Feb 24, 2011
- Spinners to play key role: Styris - Feb 14, 2011
- ICC expresses condolences for Christchurch quake victims - Feb 22, 2011
- Earthquake will motivate New Zealand: Border - Feb 23, 2011
- Difficult time for New Zealand: Vettori - Feb 24, 2011
- Bond recalled for Twenty20s, ODI series against Australia - Feb 20, 2010
- NZC focus on workload as teams picked for Windies series - May 04, 2012
- New Zealand announce squad for ODI series - Nov 18, 2010
- Vettori to miss third ODI against Pakistan - Jan 26, 2011
- Wright is the man with a World Cup plan for the Black caps - Feb 04, 2011
- Australia opt to field against New Zealand - Feb 25, 2011
- Can unpredictable New Zealand spring a surprise? (World Cup Countdown) - Jan 31, 2011
- Border warns Aussies: Christchurch earthquake may give Kiwis added motivation - Feb 23, 2011
- Scoreboard of New Zealand innings against Australia - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: canterbury, captain daniel, compatriots, condolences, courier mail, daniel vettori, earthquake, face australia, gesture of respect, guptill, international cricket council, rough time, scott styris, terrible thing, thoughts and prayers, time at home, tough day, veteran player, world cup, zealand captain