‘Shocked’ Hussey blasts CA for ‘double standards’ over omission due to injury

February 9th, 2011 - 12:36 pm ICT by ANI  

Sydney, Feb 9(ANI): Australia batsman Michael Hussey has expressed “disappointment” and “shock” at being left out of the 15-man squad for the upcoming World Cup.

Hussey was dumped after being considered too big a risk following his surgery on a hamstring tendon about three weeks ago.

“I’m really disappointed and a bit shocked by the news. I tried to push my case forward. I said I would really push (to be fit) by the second game and definitely right by the third game, but it’s not a risk the selectors wanted to take,” Fox Sports quoted Hussey, as saying.

“It’s a pretty hard pill to swallow, that’s for sure,” he added.

The 35-year-old also said that he should have been given the same opportunity as Andrew Symonds four years ago to regain fitness at the World Cup.

“The precedent has sort of been set from the last time with Andrew Symonds. He came in about the third or fourth game in the previous World Cup and played a really big part in our team. He was an important part of the team,” Hussey said.

“I was sort hoping that would be the same sort of thing for me really, that they’d give me every chance to have a crack at it really,” he added.

Hussey had earlier declared himself available for all, but Australia first two matches - against Zimbabwe on February 21 and against New Zealand on February 25. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe