Shoaib Akhtar to retire after World Cup 2011March 17th, 2011 - 12:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 17(ANI): Pakistan’s fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar is set to retire from international cricket after the ongoing ICC World Cup 2011.
The Rawalpindi Express is expected to announce his decision on Thursday (today).
The 35-year-old right-arm bowler made his first international appearance in December 1997 against West Indies.
He was involved in a number of controversies pertaining to his action, injuries as well as discipline.
Akhtar, who was recalled for the World Cup after being out of action for a major part of the last three years due to a spate of injuries, had tested positive for a banned drug nandrolone in 2006.
He was also amongst the first players to be taken for random dope testing ahead of this World Cup, according to a source.
A few days before the start of the 2011 World Cup, Akhtar expressed his determination to make an impression during the tournament, which he said would be his last.
“I am still bowling 145-150 (kilometres per hour). I am touching it easily, so look, it’s my last World Cup and I am going to try to do well whatever it’s in my ability to do well,” Akhtar said.
“I am going to go out there to push it and I will push it to the limit and that’s how it is going to be,” he added. (ANI)
- Akhtar, Akmal dope-tested ahead of ICC World Cup 2011 - Feb 17, 2011
- Shoaib Akhtar determined to make his mark in World Cup - Feb 13, 2011
- Pakistan hurt but dangerous: Shoaib Akhtar - Feb 14, 2011
- "We are hurt and we are here to hurt", warns Shoaib Akhtar - Mar 01, 2011
- Demand for Akhtar's farewell match gathers momentum - Apr 16, 2011
- "I still remain the fastest bowler in this World Cup": Shoaib Akhtar - Mar 23, 2011
- Shoaib Akhtar to retire after World Cup - Mar 17, 2011
- It's hard to imagine Pakistan cricket without Shoaib Akhtar: Azhar Ali - Mar 21, 2011
- 'Out of favour' Akhtar unlikely to play any role for Pak in remaining WC matches - Mar 22, 2011
- Alam denies Shoaib Akhtar not fully motivated for India clash - Mar 28, 2011
- Asia Cup 'make or break' tournament for Akhtar : Afridi - Jun 10, 2010
- I have not dropped my pace, says Shoaib Akhtar - Dec 29, 2010
- Shoaib Akhtar's autobiography to reveal the inside story - Aug 13, 2011
- PCB must give 'legend' Akhtar proud exit after denying him 'swansong' against India - Apr 09, 2011
- Pak team management fines Akhtar, Riaz for breach of discipline - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: controversies, discipline, few days, icc world cup, icc world cup 2011, international appearance, international cricket, kilometres, nandrolone, New Delhi, pakistan, rawalpindi, right arm, spate, west indies, world cup 2011