Shirdi Trust to observe three-day Gurupournima FestivalJuly 15th, 2008 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 15 (ANI): The three-day Shri Gurupournima Festival will be observed from July 17 to July 19 this year.
Organised by the Shri Saibaba Sansthan Trust, this festival is one among three observed and celebrated in any given year, the other two being the Shriramnavami Festival and the Shri Saibaba Punyatithi (birth anniversary) Festival.
The Shri Gurupournima Festival is observed to make the general public aware of the ancient teaching tradition and relationship between the Guru (the teacher) and the Shishya (student). It is also known as the Vyas Pooja after the learned sage of ancient times Vyasa.
On July 17, the festival will begin with the Kakad Arati procession of Sai babas portrait and holy book. It will be taken around the town and will be followed by the Akhand Parayan or the continuous reading of the holy book, which is also known as the Shri Saisatcharitra.
Devotees will then be allowed to pay homage to Sai baba, and thereafter, several religious ceremonies will be observed throughout the remainder of the day.
July 18 will be the main day of the festival, and will pretty much follow the routine set out on the previous day. Devotional songs and obeisance will be paid to the Sai baba by hundreds of thousands of devotees.
On the last day (July 19), the festival will be gin with devotees taking a ritual bath. This will be followed by the Rudra Abhishek ceremony at the Gurusthan. There will be a mid-day arati and traditional programs like the Gopal Kala and the Dahihandi will be performed.
In the evening between 7.30 p.m. and 9 p.m., Shailaja Acharya of Ambarnath will perform the Shri Santwani program in the central hall of the shrine.
Jayant Sasane, chairman of the Shri Saibaba Sansthan Trust, Shankarrao Kolhe, the vice-chairman of the trust, and other officials will participate in the festival. (ANI)
- Replica of Shirdi Sai Baba temple in Mumbai - Dec 14, 2011
- Saibaba Temple gets diamonds worth Rs.1.18 crore - Aug 01, 2012
- Shirdi set for three-day Gurupournima festival - Jul 16, 2008
- Travelator to make Shirdi Sai Baba temple visit hassle-free - Nov 09, 2011
- Shirdi temple trust to honour Tendulkar - Apr 04, 2011
- Mumbai businessman offers silver throne for Shirdi Saibaba (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Twitter abuzz with Sathya Sai Baba's death - Apr 25, 2011
- Sacred sandals of Shirdi Sai Baba travel to London - Aug 20, 2010
- Shirdi's Sai Baba temple goes green with solar steam cooking system - Oct 20, 2010
- Shirdi temple gets new trustees (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Saibaba's sandals will not be taken to Britain - Aug 23, 2010
- Sai Baba's ashram resumes celebrating festivals - May 17, 2011
- Insurance cover sought for Mumbai festival revellers - Jul 13, 2012
- Shirdi trust moots action against 'duplicate' Sai temples - Nov 11, 2010
- Shirdi temple: new trustees appointed - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: acharya, anniversary festival, birth anniversary, devotees, devotional songs, gin, gurupournima, homage, july 17, kala, mid day, New Delhi, obeisance, pooja, procession, religious ceremonies, ritual bath, shri saibaba, vice chairman, vyas