Shawn Johnson finally wins her gold on Balance BeamAugust 20th, 2008 - 2:00 am ICT by David M N James
American gymnast Shawn Johnson finally won her much anticipated medal in the Beijing Olympics with a gallant performance in the women’s beam.
Shawn won the Olympic gold medal on the women’s balance beam today closely followed by Nastia Liukin in a one and two finish for the United States. The USA bagged the Gold and the silver. Liukin had suffered a blow when she lost to He Kexin but was comfortable behind Shawn.
Shawn Johnson finally got the gold after winning three silver medals all which she seemed not very happy about. She was sure she deserved better and this time she worked hard enough to earn it. Shawn won the gold, Liukin took the silver and Cheng Fei of China won the bronze.
However it was not just as easy as catching the medal by the ear and lifting it up gallantly. Johnson had to seat for the gold. I fact, she won so narrowly just like Phelps gold. She scored 16.225, just 0.2 ahead of the 16.025 posted by Liukin, the reigning world champion on the apparatus. China’s was treated to a rude shock when their own Cheng Fei wobbled twice during her routine and stepped on landing but still shot to an early lead with 15.95. But the shock came from the formidable Johnson’s alluring routine. Shawn Johnson who is a small figured American somersaulted and did it along a 10cm wide wooden beam in a very wonderful expose of talent and finesse.
- Images : Shawn Johnson finally wins her gold on Balance Beam - Aug 20, 2008
- Nastia Liukin robbed Olympic medal - Aug 20, 2008
- Chinese women dethrone U.S. to win first-ever gymnastics team gold - Aug 13, 2008
- Nastia Liukin brings U.S. top two spots in Olympic gymnastics - Aug 15, 2008
- Alicia Sacramone Wins The World Gymnastics Championships - Oct 25, 2010
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- Nastia Liukin And Evan Lysacek: Friends Or Couple? - Feb 23, 2010
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Phelps wins 400m medley gold at Austin meet - Jan 15, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Rich haul of medals for India in Asian Women's Boxing - Mar 25, 2012
- CWG Gymnastics: Ashish wins silver (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010