Shaun Tait in Australia A squad to play PakistanJune 1st, 2009 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, June 1 (IANS) Fast bowler Shaun Tait, who was stopped from playing in the Indian Premier League (IPL) by Cricket Australia (CA), has been included in the Australia A squad to play a home series against Pakistan A in June-July.
Tait felt he was fit enough to play for Shane Warne’s Rajasthan Royals after battling hamstring tendonitis for four months and that he could have been a strong contender for a place in Australia’s World Twenty20 squad.
However CA physio Alex Kountouris and doctor Trefor James ruled Tait was not fit enough to play in the IPL, costing the South Australian $500,000.
Tait lost out heavily as he was not in CA’s roster of centrally-contracted players either.
To add insult to injury, the footnote to the 17-member squad to be captained by Victorian Cameron White says Tait’s inclusion for the matches in Townsville and Brisbane is subject to fitness.
The squad has players who performed well in domestic cricket and also those who are fighting to regain their place in the Australia side. Among them are promising Queenslander Ryan Broad, prolific South Australian Michael Klinger and New South Wales paceman Burt Cockley, his team’s leading first-class wicket-taker last summer when his senior colleagues were away on national duty or injured.
Test off-spinner Jason Krejza will bowl with Victorian left-armer Jon Holland, former Australian captain Allan Border’s possible choice for Ashes selection.
Broad, Klinger and Cockley have been selected only for the two four-day matches to be played in Townsville, before they make way for David Warner, Moises Henriques and Tait for three limited overs matches and a Twenty20 game in Brisbane.
The Squad: Cameron White (captain), Adam Voges, George Bailey, Doug Bollinger, Ryan Broad, Burt Cockley, Callum Ferguson, Brett Geeves, Moises Henriques, Jon Holland, Michael Klinger, Jason Krejza, Shaun Marsh, Clint McKay, Tim Paine, Shaun Tait, David Warner.
- Symonds axed from Australia A team - Jun 01, 2009
- Symonds in prelims squad for T20 World Cup - Apr 03, 2009
- Final squads of 11 teams for Champions League named - Aug 22, 2011
- Now Henriques flies back home; McDonald and Cockley to join squad (Lead) - Nov 04, 2009
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Australia wins toss, opts to bat in WC quarterfinal against India - Mar 24, 2011
- Lee in Australia's preliminary squad for World Twenty20 - Feb 26, 2010
- Warne to lead All Stars in T20 clash - Nov 20, 2009
- Ponting says he would see a series win as an amazing effort by the boys - Nov 05, 2009
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
- Canada elect to bat against Australia - Mar 16, 2011
- Injured Hussey, Hauritz out of Australia's World Cup squad - Feb 08, 2011
- Tait retires from ODIs to focus on T20 career - Mar 28, 2011
- Katich among seven players to lose Australian contract - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: adam voges, allan border, australian captain, cameron white, captain adam, cricket australia, david warner, domestic cricket, geeves, george bailey, insult to injury, klinger, member squad, new south wales, paceman, shane warne, shaun tait, tim paine, trefor, wicket taker