Sharath Kamal, Neha Agrawal qualify for OlympicsMarch 7th, 2008 - 8:25 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 7 (IANS) Paddlers Sharath Kamal and Neha Agrawal have booked their berths for the Beijing Olympics by reaching the knock-out stage of the ongoing qualifying table tennis tournament for Asia in Hong Kong Friday. Country’s top paddler Sharath and Delhi’s Neha qualified for men’s and women’s event respectively after reaching the progressive knock-out stages in the Hong-Kong event (March 6-9), according to a release by Table Tennis Federation of India
The duo booked their ticket to the mega-event as qualifiers from the South Asian region. Apart from these two berths, seven men and seven women will qualify for the Beijing Olympic starting August 8.
Sharath’s qualification was never in doubt, but Neha, who has been in fine form in the domestic circuit, booked her seat ahead of veteran Poloumi Ghatak and Mouma Das, the other two Indian contenders in the event.
In men’s section, Soumyadeep Roy was knocked out in the league stage while Shubhajit Saha is still in the fray after advancing to the second stage of the qualifiers.
- Promising paddlers get a chance to qualify for London Olympics - Mar 20, 2012
- Sharath to spearhead Indian challenge in World TT Championships - May 05, 2011
- Best paddlers did not make London cut: Chief TT coach - May 30, 2012
- Indian paddlers upbeat as they leave for Olympic qualifiers - Apr 16, 2012
- PSPB paddlers likely to dominate - Aug 21, 2012
- Sharath-led Indian TT team leaves for final Olympic qualifier - May 08, 2012
- Olympic-bound paddlers leave for exposure trip - Jun 06, 2012
- National TT: Sharath, Shamini start favourites - Jan 22, 2012
- Indian men's and women's paddlers to play for 25-32 positions - Mar 28, 2012
- Sharath Kamal close to sealing London berth - Apr 20, 2012
- TT: Soumyajit, Ankita book London berth, heartbreak for Sharath - Apr 22, 2012
- Sharath Kamal to lead India's challenge, CWG squad announced - Aug 30, 2010
- National TT: PSPB, West Bengal enter second round - Jan 23, 2012
- CWG table tennis: India add two bronze to its tally - Oct 14, 2010
- I am confident of making the Olympics: TT star Sharath Kamal - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: august 8, beijing olympics, berths, contenders, ghatak, knock out, league stage, New Delhi, olympics, paddlers, saha, second stage, seven men, seven women, sharath kamal, soumyadeep roy, south asian region, table tennis federation, table tennis tournament, veteran