Sharath avenges National championship loss to AmalrajFebruary 7th, 2012 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 7 (IANS) India’s top paddler Sharath Kamal avenged his loss to Anthony Amalraj at the National Table Tennis Championships last month by beating him in the final of the PSPB Inter-Unit Championship at the Thyagaraj Stadium here Tuesday.
Six-time national champion Sharath got the better of Amalraj 11-8, 11-9, 7-11, 5-11, 13-11, 11-5 in an intense battle.
Amalraj had upset Sharath in the Lucknow event for his maiden national title and later celebrated the finest win of his career by jumping on the table and forgetting to shake hands with his opponent and the umpires. Amalraj’s unsporting act forced the umpires to red card him.
ONGC’s Amalraj was the receiving end Tuesday as Sharath, playing for Indian Oil Corporation, showed that he was still the country’s best player.
Sharath looked a bit tentative, hitting winners as frequently as he was committing unforced errors. That allowed Amalraj to come back into the match as he reaped the benefits of keeping the ball in play, levelling the match at two games apiece.
The momentum seemed to be with Amalraj in the fifth game where he fought back to make it 8-8 from a 3-5 deficit. But Sharath, the 2010 Commonwealth Games doubles gold medallist, played a blinder of a point for 13-11, giving him the much need confidence going into the next game which he won comfortably.
Indian Oil’s Manika Batra defeated Mouma Das of Oil India 9-11, 11-9, 6-11, 11-6, 12-10, 11-8 for the women’s crown.
- National TT: Amalraj charged with unsporting behaviour after stunning Sharath - Jan 29, 2012
- Inter-Institutional TT: Manika, Shamini, Mouma lose - Aug 26, 2012
- South Zone TT: Sharath, Shamini emerge champions - Sep 09, 2012
- Inter-institutional TT: Most seeded players in pre-quarters - Aug 26, 2012
- Inter-Institutional TT: Double delight for Ghosh, Ghatak - Aug 27, 2012
- Inter-institutional TT: PSPB retain men's, women's team titles - Aug 24, 2012
- Sharath, Mouma help India move ahead in table tennis worlds - Mar 30, 2012
- National TT: Maharashtra women stun holders PSPB to enter final - Jan 25, 2012
- Petroleum bag three out of four titles in National TT - Jan 05, 2012
- National TT: Top seeds advance into second round - Jan 27, 2012
- National TT: Maharashtra, PSPB win team titles - Jan 26, 2012
- Sourav, Mouma win National Ranking TT titles - Dec 23, 2010
- Asian Games TT: Sharath, Amalraj in singles pre-quarters - Nov 17, 2010
- Asian TT: Indian men stretch Chinese Taipei in quarters - Feb 27, 2012
- Table tennis: Karia-Kumar clinch doubles, Saurav-Mouma win mixed doubles - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, best player, confidence, fifth game, gold medallist, indian oil, indian oil corporation, intense battle, manika, match, momentum, national championship, New Delhi, oil india, opponent, sharath kamal, table tennis championships, time national champion, two games, umpires