Sharapova writes off her title chancesJune 21st, 2009 - 2:30 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 21 (ANI): Maria Sharapova has written off her hopes of recapturing her Wimbledon Ladies’ title.
Back in 2004 she crushed Serena Williams in straight sets to become champion, but the Russian beauty is just back from 10 months out with a shoulder injury.
“Just to be here is already an accomplishment in itself. When I look back to where I was 10 or 11 months ago - or even three - I’m definitely blessed after playing a few tournaments and getting a few matches on grass,” News of the World quoted Sharapova, as saying.
“Every tournament is still a test. It’s almost like the beginning of the season. I am still testing where my game is, where my shoulder is,” she added.
Seeded 24, she faces Viktoriya Kutuzova of the Ukraine in the first round.
“It is too soon to put winning in my mind. This is definitely a time in my career where I can’t look into possible third, fourth round, semis,” Sharapova said. (ANI)
- After French win, Sharapova eyes Wimbledon - Jun 24, 2012
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
- Murray gatecrashes Federer-Nadal Grand Slam draw dominance - Aug 28, 2009
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Serena 'satisfied' with revenge for 2004 Wimbledon title loss against Sharapova - Jun 29, 2010
- Reports on Istanbul wedding false: Sharapova - Aug 05, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Sharapova happy with 2012 - Sep 08, 2012
- Australian Open: Sharapova to meet Kvitova in semis - Jan 25, 2012
- Sharapova stoic about losing No.1 spot - Jul 03, 2012
- Sharapova enthusiastic about dream Olympic debut - Jul 23, 2012
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- China's Zheng tags herself 'lightweight tennis champion' - Jul 01, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: 10 months, accomplishment, champion, game, grass, june 21, kutuzova, london, maria sharapova, news of the world, russian beauty, serena williams, shoulder injury, straight sets, title chances, ukraine, wimbledon