Sharapova sets up Olympic semifinal with KirilenkoAugust 3rd, 2012 - 6:24 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia’s Maria Sharapova reached the Olympic semifinals Thursday after beating Belgian veteran Kim Clijsters.
Sharapova, who captured her fourth grand slam title at the 2012 French Open in June, beat Clijsters 6-2, 7-5 in 1 hour and 27 minutes.
“I knew that I needed to play at a high level in order to beat her today and I was happy that I did that,” Sharapova said.
“Obviously to have a chance to get to the final, creating those opportunities, that’s what it’s all about”
Sharapova’s opponent in the semifinal will be fellow Russian Maria Kirilenko, who ousted Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic 7:6 (7:3), 6:3 in their quarterfinal earlier Thursday.
This means that Russia secured a place in the final and therefore at least a silver medal.
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova in women's singles final - Aug 04, 2012
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- Sharapova ousts Lisicki for Clijsters quarterfinal - Aug 02, 2012
- Clijsters upsets Ivanovic at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sharapova knocked out; Williams survives scare (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Kvitova rises to fifth in world rankings - Aug 26, 2012
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Nadal overpowers Federer to reach Australian Open final - Jan 26, 2012
- Unseeded Kanepi knocks Wozniacki out of Pan Pacific Open - Sep 28, 2011
- Australian Open: Sharapova to meet Kvitova in semis - Jan 25, 2012
- Makarova stuns Kvitova in Eastbourne - Jun 19, 2012
- Czechs beat Russia 3-2 to lift Fed Cup - Nov 07, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012