Sharapova loses in three-set at WimbledonJune 24th, 2009 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 24 (DPA) Maria Sharapova’s charmed life over three sets was ended as Argentine underdog Gisela Dulko held off a fightback to eliminate the 2004 champion 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 for a place in the third round at the Wimbledon Championships Wednesday.
The Argentine, ranked world No.45, needed five match points in the final game before a Sharapova forehand went long to end the contest after two hour, 13 minutes.
Sharapova had come back for victories over three sets four times at the French Open, but Dulko made sure the past was not repeated on grass.
The win was her first from three attempts against Sharapova, who only resumed playing a month ago after eight months out with a shoulder injury and surgery.
Sharapova, her ranking down to 60th as she slowly regains top form, began to lift, her screech increasing with the fervour of her fight, while trailing a set and 0-3. She won the second set and gave Dulko a huge scare in the third before the Argentine squeezed home a winner.
Russian tenth seed Nadia Petrova advanced over Shahar Peer 6-3, 6-2 while number 14 Slovak Dominika Cibulkova booked her place against Urszula Radwanska 6-2, 6-4.
Daniela Hantuchova upset China’s 16th seed Zheng Jie 6-3, 7-5.
In men’s play on the second straight day of sunshine and warm summer temperatures, fourth seed Novak Djokovic dispatched German qualifier Simon Greul 7-5, 6-1, 6-4.
Ninth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga didn’t have to strike as ball as Italian Simone Bolelli withdrew injured before their match to give the Frenchman a walkover.
Elsewhere in the second round as five-time champion Roger Federer took the court, Mardy Fish beat Serb Janko Tipsarevic 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 and Israeli Dudi Sela knocked out 2008 semi-finalist Rainer Schuettler 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, 6-2.
- US Open: Wimbledon champion Kvitova falls at first hurdle - Aug 30, 2011
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Woznicaki scrapes past Hradecka in China Open - Oct 03, 2011
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- Australian Open: Stosur stunned; Djokovic, Sharapova advance - Jan 17, 2012
- US Open singles results - Aug 31, 2012
- Federer, Djokovic rally to advance into last 8 at French Open - Jun 04, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Wozniacki, Sharapova, Venus sail into round two of Australian Open - Jan 17, 2011
- US Open: Sharapova to face Azarenka in semis (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Pattaya Open: Sania in singles, doubles quarterfinals - Feb 09, 2012
- Top seeds have comfortable outing in Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: daniela hantuchova, dudi sela, gisela dulko, janko tipsarevic, jo wilfried tsonga, mardy fish, match points, novak djokovic, rainer schuettler, ranked world, roger federer, semi finalist, shahar peer, simon greul, simone bolelli, summer temperatures, time champion, walkover, wimbledon championships, wimbledon london