Sharapova claims grunting title during Round One at Wimbledon from de Brito!June 23rd, 2009 - 1:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 23 (ANI): The race for being the loudest grunter at Wimbledon is hotting up, with Maria Sharapova for the moment reclaiming the title from the loudest offender, Michelle Larcher de Brito.
Maria Sharapova, the reigning Queen of Squealers, answered the challenge with a rallying cry of her own. And her volley of grunts and groans was enough to retain her title as the loudest woman in tennis for now, at least.
“If matches get tougher, I am going to start grunting. If people don’t like it, they can leave,” Sharapova said.
Portuguese Michelle’s blasts while playing a stroke have been measured at 109 decibels, the same as an F1 car. But the 16-year-old was unusually quiet on Court 17 as she eased through to a 6-2 7-5 win over Czech Klara Zakopalova, The Sun reports.
The Williams sisters - Venus and Serena — have had their grunts recorded at 90 decibels, while Maria Sharapova gives a 103-decibel squeal.
Fan Marnie Lloyd, 24, from Battersea, South London, said: “She sounded more like a Nissan Micra than a McLaren. I felt pretty let down.”
Meanwhile on Court One big-hitting Russian Maria was making a huge racket as she beat Ukrainian Viktoriya Kutuzova 7-5 6-4. During tough rallies she was even approaching her best of 103 decibels.
Last night Michelle denied championship organisers had asked her to reduce the noise, amid claims that her yelps were tantamount to cheating. (ANI)
- Loudest grunter at Wimbledon insists she is not a cheat - Jun 22, 2009
- Murray thought someone was giving birth when Venus Williams was playing - Jan 20, 2011
- Williams pumps up the volume with pre-Wimbledon rock outing - Jun 20, 2010
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Unseeded Kanepi knocks Wozniacki out of Pan Pacific Open - Sep 28, 2011
- Navratilova terms grunting players cheats - Jun 04, 2009
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- China Open: Wozniacki, Zvonareva move ahead; Stosur eliminated - Oct 04, 2011
- Evert concerned about grunting women tennis players - Jun 29, 2009
- Sharapova writes off her title chances - Jun 21, 2009
- Maria Sharapova opens up a candy business - Aug 21, 2012
- Woznicaki scrapes past Hradecka in China Open - Oct 03, 2011
- Maria Sharapova grunts louder than a lawnmower at Wimbledon! - Jun 27, 2008
- Australian Open: Top seed Serena Williams to face Radwanska - Jan 15, 2010
- Sania cruises to second round, Somdev crashes out of US Open - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: blasts, decibel, grunts, klara zakopalova, larcher de brito, maria sharapova, mclaren, michelle larcher de brito, nissan micra, organisers, rallies, rallying cry, south london, squeal, venus and serena, viktoriya kutuzova, volley, williams sisters, wimbledon, yelps