Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead)June 8th, 2012 - 12:50 am ICT by IANS
Paris, June 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Maria Sharapova reached her first French Open final Thursday after a comfortable straight-sets win over world No. 4 Petra Kvitova. The Russian will meet Italy’s Sara Errani in the final.
Sharapova breezed past the Czech player 6-3, 6-3 to join 21st seed Errani in Saturday’s final, her second Grand Slam final in a row after defeat at the Australian Open in January.
A win would make Sharapova only the 10th player in women’s tennis history to achieve the career Grand Slam of wins at all four major tournaments.
Boosted by 79 percent first-serve accuracy and consistent power, Sharapova did not come close to dropping a set, as she did for the only time in the tournament against her first Czech opponent, Klara Zakopalova.
For Kvitova, defeat means that her eight-month wait to play in a tournament final continues.
Earlier in the day, Errani upset reigning U.S. Open champion Samantha Stosur to reach her first Grand Slam final.
Errani held onto an early break in the first set but was subjected to a second-set thrashing by her Australian opponent, the losing finalist at Roland Garros in 2010, only to recover in the decider for a 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 win.
Errani has beaten three higher-seeded players on her way to the final, and scalped former champions Svetlana Kuznetsova and Ana Ivanovic.
The result means that the Italian will play in two French Open finals this weekend after she and partner Roberta Vinci won their women’s doubles semifinal Wednesday.
The Italian pair’s opponents will be Russia’s Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova, who reached the final with a 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 win in a rain-interrupted match against Czech fifth seeds Lucie Hradecka and Andrea Hlavackova that finished Thursday.
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- Sharapova sets up Olympic semifinal with Kirilenko - Aug 03, 2012
- Sharapova wins French Open, completes career Grand Slam (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Kvitova overpowers Sharapova to win 2001 Wimbledon title - Jul 02, 2011
- Wimbledon: Sharapova knocked out; Williams survives scare (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Wimbledon: Errani thrashed by record-breaker Shvedova - Jun 30, 2012
- Top four seeds enter semis at Stuttgart WTA Grand Prix - Apr 28, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Nadal overpowers Federer to reach Australian Open final - Jan 26, 2012
- Stosur breaks Australia's heart (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Kvitova rises to fifth in world rankings - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: ana ivanovic, australian open, career grand slam, consistent power, decider, french open, maria kirilenko, maria sharapova, nadia petrova, open champion, ria novosti, roberta vinci, roland garros, samantha stosur, sara errani, seeded players, straight sets, svetlana kuznetsova, tennis history, vd