Sharapova beats Azarenka to win Stuttgart WTA titleApril 30th, 2012 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, April 30 (IANS) Second-ranked Maria Sharapova made short work of World No.1 Victoria Azarenka 6-1, 6-4 to win the Stuttgart WTA title for her first crown of the year.
Sharapova lost the finals of the Australian Open and Indian Wells this year to Azarenka, and the Russian had never beaten her rival from Belarus in four previous encounters in a final.
“I am really pleased to win such a tough tournament, against such tough opponents. Victoria could not perform at her best because of her injury,” Sharapova was quoted as saying by Xinhua after Sunday’s victory.
Azarenka, who fell to 29-2 this year but will keep the No.1 spot, had her right wrist taped after the first set. “I am disappointed to lose, but still I had a good week,” she said.
- Azarenka destroys Sharapova to win Australian Open - Jan 28, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Top four seeds enter semis at Stuttgart WTA Grand Prix - Apr 28, 2012
- Federer, Azarenka retain top spot - Aug 06, 2012
- Sharapova stoic about losing No.1 spot - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- Sharapova curses final set charity against Azarenka - Sep 08, 2012
- Kvitova overpowers Sharapova to win 2001 Wimbledon title - Jul 02, 2011
- Sharapova reaches final of Miami tennis tournament - Apr 01, 2011
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Azarenka takes tennis bronze for Belarus - Aug 04, 2012
- Serena Williams wins women's singles at US Open - Sep 10, 2012
- Kvitova rises to fifth in world rankings - Aug 26, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova to face Azarenka in semis (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012