Shane Watson’s injury casts shadow over his Ashes chancesJune 23rd, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 23 (ANI): The Ashes prospects of injury-plagued Australian all rounder Shane Watson have become bleak after he was too sore to train with the team in England today.
Medical staff is monitoring Watson closely, after he complained of general stiffness and was confined to the team rooms during a training session at Brighton.
“I pulled up a little bit stiff from training yesterday so I sat out of today’s training. We are just monitoring things - that’s the way it has been with me for the last couple of years,” Watson said.
While the latest injury concern may not prove to be serious, it is a major concern that Watson was sidelined today less than three weeks before the first Ashes Test in Cardiff starting on July 8, The Australian reports.
Watson had only recently returned from back stress fractures, before breaking down with a groin strain during Australia’s one-day series against Pakistan in the Middle-East.
The 27-year-old only returned to the bowling crease during Australia’s ill-fated Twenty20 World Cup campaign in England.
The latest setback is the last thing he needed, as he tries to win his baggy green cap back from incumbent all rounder Andrew McDonald.
Australia will fine-tune its Ashes preparations when it plays a four-day tour match against Sussex starting in Brighton tomorrow. (ANI)
- Australia announces squad for Ashes series - May 20, 2009
- Injured Watson almost certain to miss first Ashes Test - Jun 25, 2009
- Injured Ponting, Haddin and Smith progressing well, says Oz team physiotherapist - Feb 08, 2011
- Shane Watson's fitness for Ashes in doubt - May 09, 2009
- Watson could miss entire series against India - Dec 27, 2011
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Lee makes a comeback, Symonds dropped from Ashes squad - May 20, 2009
- Watson to avoid over training before match with Kenya - Mar 09, 2011
- Injured Siddle to return home - Nov 03, 2009
- 'West Indies favourites for T20 World Cup' - Jun 28, 2012
- Symmo could make way for Watson, McDonald in Ashes squad - May 05, 2009
- Australia looking for multi-dimensional cricketers - Oct 03, 2009
- Shane Watson's Ashes hopes revived - May 14, 2009
- Watson singles out 'rookie' Finn as Australia's No.1 Ashes target - Aug 24, 2010
- Flintoff confident England will beat Australia in Ashes series - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: andrew mcdonald, baggy green cap, brighton, cardiff, crease, first ashes test, groin strain, incumbent, june 23, latest setback, medical staff, prospects, rounder, shane watson, stiffness, stress fractures, sussex, training session, twenty20 world cup, world cup campaign