Shandilya begins with a win at invitational snookerSeptember 17th, 2008 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 17 (IANS) Former World billiards and National snooker champion Ashok Shandilya began his campaign with a 3-0 win against local challenger Karthik in the preliminary league of the Alliance Group - ASCA All-India invitational snooker tournament, here Wednesday.Looking a tad rusty, Shandilya, sporting a new look, though had few problems in disposing off his opponent who was rather too defensive to make much of an impression.
“I haven’t even touched the cue for the past two weeks as I was busy with official work. I guess, with a little more time at the table, I should be able to get back into form, but I doubt I would have survived against more experienced players,” said Mumbai-based Shandilya, the sports officer at Western Railway.
Also coming through 3-0 was Rupesh Shah who was just too good for Harpreet Singh while IBSF World Champion Pankaj Advani expectedly qualified for the pre-quarter-finals by recording his second win in the four-player Group A by defeating Nadeem Ahmed 3-0.
Meanwhile, India No.4 Sourav Kothari went down 0-3 to R Girish in the morning session. Kothari was reportedly unwell and though he put up some fight in the third frame which was decided on the pink, it was all too little too late as he was barely in the picture in the two previous frames.
Group A: Pankaj Advani bt Nadeem Ahmed 3-0; MC Manoj bt Varun Kumar 3-1.
Group B: Prem Prakash bt Antim Singhi 3-2; Prem Prakash bt Pushparaj 3-0;
Group C: Kamal Chawla bt Sunil Mathews 3-0; R Girish bt Sourav Kothari 3-0; Kamal Chawla bt R Girish 3-1.
Group E: Rupesh Shah bt Harpreet Singh 3-1.
Group G: Karthik bt Shravan Mohta 3-2; Ashok Shandilya bt Karthik 3-0.
Group H: Devendra Joshi bt Pranit 3-1.
- Chawla cracks 122 for easy win in snooker event - Jun 18, 2012
- Chopra joins centurions list in National Snooker - Feb 01, 2012
- Saengkham sizzles en route to last 16 - Jun 20, 2012
- Mehta sparkles with 134 break at National snooker - Jan 31, 2012
- Sethi, Advani, Alok advance in senior national billiards - Jul 28, 2011
- Easy for fancied players in National Billiards - Jul 26, 2011
- Kothari ousts Habib to make last 8 - Jun 21, 2012
- Anna Snooker: Damani cracks 116 break - Dec 17, 2011
- Easy win for Alok Kumar in national snooker - Aug 05, 2011
- Advani leads way into pre-quarters of National Snooker - Feb 02, 2012
- Alok through to pre-quarters of All India Snooker - Jan 20, 2010
- Meenal, Arantxa in National Billiards Final - Jan 25, 2012
- Advani survives scare in National Snooker Championship - Jan 30, 2012
- National Snooker: All qualifiers make knock-out stage (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Alok knocks out Advani in National snooker - Aug 08, 2011