Shamim takes lead in Tata Open golfDecember 4th, 2008 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
Jamshedpur, Dec 4 (IANS) Delhi golfer Shamim Khan took the lead at the sixth Tata Open golf with a second round score of four-under 66 at the Golmuri Golf Course here Thursday.Shamim, who had returned four under 68 at the adjacent Beldih Golf Course during round one, finished the second round with a total of eight under 134.
Mandeo Singh Pathania shot an awesome nine-under 61 at the Golmuri Golf Course to be tied second along with Ajeetesh Sandhu at six under 136.
Pathania broke the course record at Golmuri by two strokes while Ajeetesh Sandhu turned in an even par 72 at the Beldih Golf Course.
The cut was declared at five over 147 and 57 professionals including two amateurs made the cut.
Khan’s second round was studded with seven birdies and three bogeys. He sank birdies on the first, seventh, ninth and bogeys on the fifth and eighth to make the turn at one under. He then hit a purple patch on the back nine when he made birdies on the 11th, 12th, 15th and 16th. The Delhi golfer made his third and last bogey of the day on the 17th.
“I was in great driving form today and hit the ball close on most occasions. I had one really long putt on the 15th, an 18-footer, and I sank that one from the fringe. On the other hand, I made a few mistakes from the fairway. I had an easy opportunity for par on the eighth but I missed the green from the centre of the fairway,” said Shamim.
Pathania set the Golmuri Golf Course on fire with his nine under 61. He sank eagles on the seventh and 16th, and birdies on the first, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 17th. His lone bogey came on the third. Pathania’s two eagles came as a result of 8-iron approach shots which landed 10 feet short of the pin.
Joseph Chakola (73, 64), Feroz Ali Mollah (65, 72) and Ali Sher (68, 69) are all currently tied fourth at five under 137.
- Jaini, Bhullar, Das chase Siddikur at Panasonic Open - Mar 30, 2012
- Jeetesh and Jaini lead Indian charge at SAIL Open golf - Mar 24, 2011
- Shamim keeps lead after third round at Tata Open golf - Dec 05, 2008
- Ladies European Golf: India's Sharmila shares lead - Jan 16, 2012
- Lahiri fires 69 to take lead - Aug 09, 2012
- Shergill triumphs in playoff in TATA Open - Nov 01, 2009
- Chowrasia, Sujjan one shot off the lead at Avantha Masters - Feb 19, 2011
- PGTI Players Championship: Lahiri leads by two strokes - Jul 01, 2010
- Ladies European Golf: Sharmila tied 2nd, one behind leader - Jan 17, 2012
- Maharashtra Open: Mane shoots 65, takes lead - Oct 26, 2011
- Gaganjeet Bhullar hogs limelight at Bangladesh Golf - Jan 26, 2011
- Abhishek shares lead with Piyush in Usha Karnataka juniors - May 23, 2012
- Lahiri moves to top, Malik close second in BILT Open golf - Oct 29, 2010
- Harendra Gupta enjoys two-stroke lead after three rounds - Sep 26, 2009
- Two shot lead for Arjun Sharma in North India golf - Mar 13, 2012