Shakira says she watches every match of soccer star beauMarch 7th, 2012 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, March 7 (IANS/EFE) Colombian singer Shakira said she never misses a match where her boyfriend, Spanish soccer star Gerard Pique, is playing.
Aware of the “dedication, commitment, discipline and teamwork” needed to play professional soccer, the vocalist said in an interview with the Web site FIFA.com that she gives Pique her support in every way he needs. “It can’t be easy having a performer as a partner either!” she laughed.
Pique plays professionally for FC Barcelona and is a member of Spain’s national team.
Associated with soccer through her performances at the 2006 and 2010 World Cup finals, the artist says that the sport, about which she is particularly impressed by the intelligence it requires, has won her over completely.
“(O)nce you start to understand football you realize that it’s not just about the physical side of the game and chasing after a ball,” the “Waka Waka” songwriter said.
It was at the World Cup finals that she realized “the importance and impact this sport has on the lives of billions of people every day, on the dreams of the young people and children who devote so many hours of their lives to playing the game”, she said.
For that reason, Shakira said she would love to be present at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. “I’m not sure in what capacity, but I’ll definitely be there.”
- Shakira hails Barcelona soccer club as model of teamwork - Jun 22, 2011
- Shakira denies rumours of breakup with Pique - Oct 06, 2011
- Shakira is a hit in Mexico - Jul 18, 2011
- Shakira in Puerto Rico to be with boyfriend - Aug 14, 2012
- Shakira supporting Spain in World Cup final - Jul 10, 2010
- Shakira, footballer beau seal relationship with a kiss on mag cover - Mar 15, 2011
- Shakira confirms pregnancy - Sep 20, 2012
- Shakira wraps up world tour in Puerto Rico - Oct 16, 2011
- Harvard gives Shakira 2011 Artist of the Year award - Feb 28, 2011
- Shakira finally confirms romance with her 'sunshine' Gerard Pique - Mar 30, 2011
- Shakira sends autographed guitar to Venezuelan president - May 16, 2011
- Shakira and Gerard Pique seen holding hands - Feb 22, 2011
- Shakira launches soccer shirts for charity - Jun 08, 2010
- Has Shakira found love again? - Feb 25, 2011
- Shakira to close World Cup - Jul 08, 2010
Tags: billions, colombian singer, dedication, discipline, dreams, fc barcelona, gerard pique, intelligence, madrid, match, playing the game, professional soccer, shakira, soccer star, songwriter, spanish soccer, teamwork, vocalist, waka waka, world cup finals