Shakib confident of pulling an upset win over South AfricaMarch 18th, 2011 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, March 18 (IANS) Bangladesh captain Shakib-al Hasan says his side was confident of defeating a “superior” South Africa here Saturday if the boys stick to a gameplan in their must-win match for making the quarterfinal.
“If we stick to our plans, we have a very good chance. Our boys are very confident after back-to-back wins. We will give them a tough fight. Overall they are a better team, undoubtedly. But it’s a one day game. Whichever team plays well on the morrow will win,” Shakib told mediapersons here Friday.
Bangladesh decimated the Netherlands by six wickets and then pulled off a shocking two-wicket win over England at Chittagong.
On six points from five games, courtesy another win over Ireland, Bangladesh are still in the race for making it to the last eight provided they beat South Africa.
Asked how Bangladesh planned to cope with South African spin duo of Johan Botha and Robin Peterson, Shakib said: “They are a very good team. Their spinners are bowling very well, taking reasonably good wickets. But we have to be careful about both their pace and spin bowling.”
On the track at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium, Shakib said: “It’s one wicket where you can’t score freely, not easy to bat on.”
Asked about none of the Bangladesh batsmen getting a ton in the big event so far, Shakib said: “The wicket was different in our first game against India where there were lot of runs. We also got 283. Virender Sehwag and Virat Kohli got hundreds. In later matches, no team has crossed 250.”
- Bangladesh face a daunting task in must-win match (Preview) - Mar 18, 2011
- South Africa ahead on form, Kiwis count on Vettori (Preview) - Mar 24, 2011
- South Africa top group, Bangladesh's World Cup dream nearly over (Round-up) - Mar 19, 2011
- India will be the real test for our spinners: Peterson - Feb 27, 2011
- Shakib apologises to fans, admits failure to handle pressure - Mar 19, 2011
- New Zealand can challenge in-form South Africa (Preview, Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Smith pleased with South Africa's spin attack - Mar 24, 2011
- Tigers retreat with tails between their legs! (World Cup Diary) - Mar 19, 2011
- Bangla skipper vows to seek entry into WC 2011 knockout phase - Mar 12, 2011
- Bowlers cost us the game: Shakib - Feb 20, 2011
- South Africa set Bangladesh a challenging target (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- South Africa-New Zealand battle could be close: Botha - Mar 22, 2011
- Botha feels spinners have to attack, look for wickets - Feb 21, 2011
- Graeme Smith wins toss, elects to bat - Mar 19, 2011
- After bowling success, Afridi to focus on batting - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,