Shahrukh, Shoaib leave Hyderabad fans disappointedMay 11th, 2008 - 7:16 pm ICT by admin
Hyderabad, May 11 (IANS) Unmindful of the sweltering heat, die-hard fans filled the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium here, but were disappointed not to see their heroes - actor Shahrukh Khan and cricketer Shoaib Akhtar - in ‘action’. Braving the scorching sun, the enthusiasts took their seats much before the match began between Hyderabad’s Deccan Chargers and Kolkata Knight Riders. Even 42 degree Celsius temperature could not keep the crowd away from enjoying the Sunday game.
The 40,000-capacity stadium was almost full. It was the best crowd so far at this stadium though the hosts have lost all their three matches played here and are at the bottom of the points table with just two wins from eight outings.
It was also the first day-night IPL match to be played here.
Many fans turned up to catch a glimpse of Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan, who owns the Kolkata team. But they were disappointed not to find King Khan in the stands.
‘Where r u SRK’ asked a placard carried by one of the fans. Hyderabad Cricket Association (HCA) officials said they have no information if the superstar would be coming to cheer the team.
However, another Bollywood star and Shahrukh Khan’s friend Arbaaz Khan was present to cheer the Kolkata team.
HCA secretary Shivalal Yadav said all tickets for the match were sold out. “But I don’t know what is the contributing factor for this,” he said. IT companies bought 15,000 tickets for their employees.
Shoaib Akhtar’s fans were also disappointed as the Pakistani speedster was not included in the team. The controversial bowler, who is a big crowd puller, is still waiting to make an IPL debut for his Kolkata team.
The visitors, however, evoked lusty cheers from a section of the crowd. Bengalis settled here were present in large numbers to cheer for Kolkata Knight Riders’ captain Sourav Ganguly and his team mates.
- Tradition gels with modernity in KKR's cultural show - Apr 05, 2012
- Poor turnout marks CLT20 qualifying matches - Sep 20, 2011
- Dada not playing, fans disappointed - May 09, 2011
- Shah Rukh bats for Mamata, answers critics - May 29, 2012
- Its 'whistle podu' time at Chepauk - May 27, 2012
- Shah Rukh warmly welcomed by fans - Apr 05, 2012
- SRK becomes Bengal ambassador, to shoot promo - Apr 05, 2012
- 'Yellow fever' grips Chennai - May 28, 2012
- Testing time for fans as rain plays spoilsport (IPL Diary) - May 14, 2011
- Rajasthan court summons Shah Rukh for smoking in public - Apr 26, 2012
- KKR wins IPL title, B-town cheers SRK - May 28, 2012
- SRK ashamed of Wankhede brawl, says he's no role model - May 30, 2012
- KKR fans face police batons outside Eden - May 29, 2012
- Mobbed by thousands, Kolkata's Knights begin victory parade - May 29, 2012
- I apologise for my actions at MCA: Shah Rukh Khan - May 28, 2012
Tags: arbaaz khan, bollywood star, cricket association, cricketer, crowd puller, deccan, degree celsius, hca, king khan, knight riders, kolkata, placard, rajiv gandhi international stadium, shahrukh khan, shoaib akhtar, sourav ganguly, srk, sweltering heat, team mates, yadav