Shah Rukh tries to put an end to comparison with GangulyMay 15th, 2012 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 15 (IANS) Asking the fans to grow up, Bollywood superstar and Kolkata Knight Riders owner Shah Rukh Khan Tuesday tried to put to rest comparisons with Sourav Ganguly by stating that the fans should stop comparing the two.
“The fans should grow up. This is sport. We should play it like a sport. We keep talking about Kings and Khans… This is crap, to be honest,” Shah Rukh said on the sidelines of the Kolkata Knight Riders post-match party.
“To be honest, if we don’t outgrow this, it is not only embarrassing for us, it is embarrassing for Dada too. We should get over this. Whenever I come to Kolkata, if you are going to bring this up then I think it’s a little unfair,” a visibly annoyed Shah Rukh said.
For the first three Indian Premier League (IPL) editions, Ganguly was an indispensable part of the Knight Riders, though their association was not controversy-free.
The prince of Kolkata captained the team in the inaugural year but lost the job in the second season which was marked by his run-ins with coach John Buchanan. Ganguly got back the captaincy in the third season, but his authority was much diluted amidst reports of growing differences with SRK.
Finally, Shah Rrukh dumped Ganguly from the team last year, and appointed Gautam Gambhir as skipper. After finding no takers in the players’ auction, Ganguly made a belated entry into the 22 yards for Pune Warriors as a replacement for Ashish Nehra. And this year, Warriors have anointed him captain-cum-mentor.
The May 5 match between Knight Riders and Pune Warriors was billed as Dada versus Shah Rukh grudge match. Shah Rukh said the regular comparisons were unfair on Ganguly.
“Instead of making him small with these comparisons, we all should applaud the greatness he has achieved. I am the greatest fan of Dada as far as cricket is concerned. We wish him whenever he plays,” the actor said.
When asked whether Sourav will be brought in as the mentor of the team in the next session, Shah Rukh in a flippant way said: “I’m the mentor of this team. The owner of this team. The hero of this team. I’m the God of this team.”
- Eden Garderns set for Dada-SRK grudge match (Preview) - May 04, 2012
- Sourav, Shah Rukh display camaraderie at Eden - May 06, 2012
- KKR is the only team that plays for Kolkata's pride: Gambhir - May 04, 2012
- Ganguly fans left with mixed feelings - May 05, 2012
- Majority of Kolkatans to root for Dada, not KKR on May 5 - Apr 29, 2012
- KKR playing well without Ganguly: SRK - May 06, 2011
- I wanted to win for Kolkata, Sourav: Shah Rukh - Apr 12, 2011
- Mini Pune descends at Eden for SRK-Dada grudge match - May 05, 2012
- Dada not playing, fans disappointed - May 09, 2011
- Would love Sourav to be with Knight Riders: Shah Rukh - Jan 10, 2011
- Pune Warriors opt to bat against Knight Riders - Apr 24, 2012
- Sourav brought luck for us: Shah Rukh Khan - May 01, 2011
- Shah Rukh is like my elder brother: Sourav - Jun 25, 2011
- Sourav Ganguly watches IPL match at Eden - May 01, 2011
- Gambhir hopes Kolkata will root for KKR in Ganguly game - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: coach john, gautam gambhir, greatest fan, greatness, grudge match, ins, ipl, john buchanan, khans, knight riders, kolkata, nehra, premier league, second season, shah rukh khan, sidelines, skipper, srk, third season, warriors