Shafiq, Irfan to replace ‘tainted’ trio in Pak ODI squadSeptember 3rd, 2010 - 8:51 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Sep 3 (ANI): Pakistan has called batsman Asad Shafiq and fast bowler Mohammad Irfan to replace the suspended Test skipper Salman Butt, fast bowlers Mohammad Amir, and Mohammad Asif.
Pakistan had dropped Butt, Asif and Aamir from the Twenty20 and one-day series against England under pressure from the ICC and the England Cricket Board.
The Pakistan cricket team is in the midst of a betting scam, where fast bowlers Aamir and Asif are alleged to have bowled pre-arranged no-balls in the Lord’s Test against England.
“The PCB chairman (Ijaz Butt) approved the names of the two players on the request of the team management and selection committee,” a PCB statement said on Friday.
“Both the players are currently playing with the Pakistan A team in Sri Lanka and will now join the senior team by next week,” the Dawn quoted a Pakistan Cricket Board official, as saying.
Tall left arm pacer Irfan has yet to play for the senior team while batsman Shafiq made his one-day international debut in the Asia Cup in Sri Lanka in June.
Butt, Amir and Asif could face possible life bans after they were charged on Thursday under the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) anti-corruption code. (ANI)
- Pakistan replace tainted trio with Mohammad Irfan, Asad Shafiq - Sep 04, 2010
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Pak cricketers at centre of illegal betting allegations are innocent: Hasan - Sep 02, 2010
- ICC asks PCB asks to 'drop tainted' players for ODI series against England - Aug 31, 2010
- Pakistan announce World Cup squad without a captain - Jan 18, 2011
- Pak call up Shafiq, Irfan to replace suspended trio for England ODI series - Sep 04, 2010
- Pakistan will not suspend 'spot-fixing' accused players without proof: PCB - Aug 31, 2010
- 'Tainted' Butt, Asif and Aamir dropped from Pak squad for Twenty20, ODIs - Sep 02, 2010
- PCB dismisses reports of filing appeal against Amir's ICC ban - Feb 14, 2011
- Pakistan cricketers say they knew Majeed as agent not bookie (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2010
- Kamran, Naved in 30-man preliminary Pak World Cup squad - Jan 05, 2011
- Mixed reaction in Pak over decision to drop 'tainted' cricket trio - Sep 03, 2010
- ICC's anti-corruption unit had been keeping an eye on Pak players - Aug 31, 2010
- PCB's failure to take action 'forced' ICC to suspend players: Former selectors - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: amir, asia cup, corruption, dawn, england cricket board, international cricket council, international debut, irfan, left arm, midst, mohammad asif, odi squad, pacer, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket team, salman, selection committee, skipper, team management, twenty20