Seven Indians in Asian boxing semifinalsJune 11th, 2009 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) Olympic bronze medallist Vijender Kumar and Suranjoy Singh
stormed into the semifinals of the Asian boxing championships in Zhuhai, China, Thursday to join their five teammates and assure India of seven medals.
Vijender (75 kg) thrashed Karipov Ruslan of Kyrgistan 19-4 while Suranjoy (51) defeated Pak Jong Chol of North Korea 5-1.
Chhotelal Yadav (57 kg) and Balwinder Beniwal (64 kg), however, lost their quarterfinal bouts.
Vijender was never in trouble as he land punches at will against his hapless opponent.
The Indian move around deftly and opened up a 6-1 lead after the first round. He increased the lead to 10-1 after the second round and went on to score aggressively in the third round. He will face local favourite Zhang Jianting of China in the semifinals Friday.
In the 51 kg bout, Suranjoy had a slender 1-0 lead at the end of first round. The Indian came up with some power-packed punches in the second and third round to notch a win. He now meets Ruenroeng Amnaj of Thailand in the semifinals.
Chhotelal went down fighting 3-4 to Thailand’s Masuk Wuttichai while Beniwal lost 9-11 on countback after he and his opponent Karami Houman of Iran were tied 4-4 after the third round.
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
- Three more Indian boxers enter semifinals of Asian meet - Jun 10, 2009
- Asian Games boxing: Santhosh in semis, Amandeep out in quarters - Nov 22, 2010
- Vijender stuns world champion in Asian boxing meet - Jun 09, 2009
- Asian Games boxing: Santhosh enters final in 64kg category - Nov 24, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Krishan, Manpreet in semis - Nov 21, 2010
- India's Asiad tally at 46, five boxers in gold hunt (Roundup) - Nov 24, 2010
- Three Indian boxers in finals of Asian meet - Jun 12, 2009
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- India's Asiad tally rises to 36, nine medals assured in boxing (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2010
- CWG boxing: Vijender knocked out; Suranjoy, Manoj in finals (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- CWG boxing: Vijender knocked out; Suranjoy, Manoj, Paramjit in finals (Roundup) - Oct 12, 2010