Serie A defender arrested over match-fixing suspicionApril 3rd, 2012 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, April 3 (IANS) Defender Andrea Masiello of Italian Serie A football club Atalanta has been arrested for alleged involvement in a match-fixing scandal.
In addition to Masiello, who was a Bari defender at the time of the alleged fraud, two friends of his were arrested Monday on suspicion of having participated in the fixing of some matches during last Serie A season.
A number of other notable players have been put under investigation following warrants issued by magistrates in the southern city of Bari, Xinhua reported.
The arrests were made as part of so-called “Last Bet” operation, which has until now led to the arrest of many people throughout Italy, including well-known players such as former Lazio forward Beppe Signori and former Atalanta striker Cristiano Doni.
Investigators said the results of several Serie A and Serie B matches were influenced over the past two seasons.
The scandal came five years after the Italian police uncovered a complex network of managers, players and organizations rigging matches in Serie A and B.
Last June, the Italian interior ministry had set up a special task force to look into sporting frauds which includes police and anti-mafia officers.
- Seventeen held for football match-fixing - Dec 20, 2011
- Italy captain Buffon probed for illegal gambling - Jun 01, 2012
- Cristiano Doni arrested in connection with the match fixing probe - Dec 19, 2011
- Lazio captain Mauri arrested for match-fixing - May 28, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Inter triumph 5-0, Lazio humiliated 0-4 - Jan 08, 2012
- Juventus beat Lazio to reach top of Italian Serie A - Nov 27, 2011
- 15 arrested in Turkey football scandal - Jul 08, 2011
- Criscito flies to Italy for match-fixing hearing - Jul 15, 2012
- Turkish club's chairman arrested for fraud - Apr 05, 2012
- Juventus kick-off season with win - Aug 26, 2012
- Nine arrests in Italy match-rigging probe - Nov 23, 2009
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: bari, bet, club atalanta, complex network, football club, frauds, interior ministry, italian interior, italian police, italian serie, lazio, magistrates, masiello, match fixing scandal, rigging, striker, two friends, two seasons, warrants, xinhua