Serena Williams loses in first round first timeMay 30th, 2012 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 30 (IANS) Serena Williams was bundled out of the French Open tennis after she suffered the worst Grand Slam defeat of her career.
The favourite for the women’s singles title slumped to a dramatic and thrilling 6-4, 6-7 (5), 3-6 loss to France’s world 111 Virginie Razzano in the first round here Tuesday.
It was the 13-time Grand Slam winner’s first ever exit at the opening round stage of her 47-event Grand Slam career and her earliest loss at a major since she was knocked out of the Australian Open second round by sister Venus in 1998.
The fifth-seeded Williams was two points from victory nine times in the second set, including leading 5-1 in the tiebreaker. But Razzano won six straight points to force a third set, and then took control of the match.
“I made so many errors today, which isn’t the game I was playing in the past,” Williams said. “That’s life.”
Williams entered the day with a 46-0 record in first-round matches at Grand Slam tournaments. She had been looking for her 14th major title, and second at Roland Garros.
- US Open: Radwanska ousted by Vinci - Sep 04, 2012
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Murray thought someone was giving birth when Venus Williams was playing - Jan 20, 2011
- American duo Huber-Raymond wins US Open women's doubles - Sep 12, 2011
- French Open: Bhupathi, Sania advance to mixed double quarters - Jun 04, 2012
- Nadal, Murray power through as rain fails to dampen US Open - Sep 04, 2010
- Serena Williams wins women's singles at US Open - Sep 10, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Nadal makes winning return at Wimbledon - Jun 22, 2010
- Venus Williams' French Open Outfit Triggers Controversy - May 25, 2010
- Sania-Bhupathi claim maiden French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- U.S. Open: Robson ousts Li Na - Sep 01, 2012
- Williams leads women's seeds on Wimbledon opening day - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: australian open, french open, french open tennis, game, grand slam tournaments, grand slam winner, match, nine times, paris, roland garros, serena williams, sister venus, straight points, tiebreaker, victory, virginie razzano