Serena Williams beats Kuznetsova, enters Oz Open semi-finalsJanuary 28th, 2009 - 2:20 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, jan.28 (ANI): Serena Williams came back from the brink to defeat Russia’’s Svetlana Kuznetsova 7-5, 5-7, 6-1 in the Australian Open quarter-finals, ensuring the women’’s semis would not be an all-Russian affair.
The eighth-seeded Kuznetsova served for the match in the 10th game of the second set but was broken by Williams, who is chasing a fourth title at Melbourne Park.
According to The Age, the American No.2 seed duly broke again in the 12th game to push the match into a decider, demoralising the Russian who had looked so impressive in the first set which was played under a blazing sun.
But with the tournament’’s Extreme Heat Policy being invoked during the match, the final two sets were played with the roof closed on Rod Laver Arena.
Williams said the conditions were so extreme during the first set, it felt like “an out of body experience”.
“I was in a lot of trouble today, but I I really wanted to relax and just go three sets … that’’s when I play my best,” she said.
The match lasted for two hours and three minutes, with Williams winning 10 of the last 11 games.
Williams” semi-final opponent will be another Russian, No.4 seed Elena Dementieva, who outclassed unseeded Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro 6-2 6-2 earlier on Wednesday.
The other semi will be an all-Russian clash between third seed Dinara Safina and No.7 Vera Zvonareva. (ANI)
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina lose, Paes-Stepanek reach semis (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Zvonareva to meet Radwanska in Pan Pacific final - Sep 30, 2011
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic sails into 3rd round - Jan 19, 2012
- Australian Open: Paes-Stepanek, Sania-Bhupathi in semis (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi crash out of Australian Open - Jan 27, 2012
- US Open: Wozniacki rallies; Federer, Williams cruise to quarters - Sep 06, 2011
- Olympic tennis: Serena Williams beats Zvonareva - Aug 01, 2012
- Serena spoils Russian sweep to claw into semis - Jan 28, 2009
- Australian Open: Top seeds advance to second round (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina surprise Raymond-Huber to enter semis - Jan 24, 2012
- Australian Open: Stosur stunned; Djokovic, Sharapova advance - Jan 17, 2012
- French Open: Ferrer sends out a warning to the favourites (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: australian open, body experience, brink, decider, dinara safina, elena dementieva, extreme heat, jan 28, melbourne park, navarro, quarter finals, rod laver, rod laver arena, semi finals, semis, serena williams, suarez, svetlana kuznetsova, three minutes, vera zvonareva