Serena beats Dementieva to enter Australian Open finalJanuary 29th, 2009 - 2:27 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 29 (ANI): Second seed Serena Williams gained entry to her third consecutive Grand Slam final, beating Elena Dementieva in straight sets at the final of the Australian Open on Thursday.
Williams, aiming for her fourth title at Melbourne and her 10th major championship, essayed a 6-3, 6-4 triumph over the fourth- seeded Russian and will now face either third seed Dinara Safina or seventh seed Vera Zvonareva.
Williams has won nine Slam singles titles and is likely to win a 10th on Saturday night, The Australian reported.
Dementieva might have won the last three meetings against Williams, the most recent being the semi-finals in Sydney two weeks ago, but her serve let her down this time.
The 27 year-old served eight double-faults many on break points to Williams. On top of that Williams served 10 aces to Dementievas three.
The ferocity of the ground strokes both women produced showed up in the fact that Williams fell over in the fifth game of the second set and Dementievas visor came flying off during a rally three games later.
But once Williams claimed it on her first match point, she turned to players box-containing mother Oracene Price and sister Venus and bounced up and down.
I havent moved like that in a while so Im a bit shocked myself, said Williams. (ANI)
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Wimbledon champ Serena Williams commands WTA rankings - Jul 05, 2010
- Serena through to Wimbledon final - Jul 02, 2009
- Safina heads WTA list into Wimbledon - Jun 22, 2009
- Safina tops rankings despite latest Grand Slam setback - Jul 06, 2009
- Serena Williams dethrones Safina atop women's rankings - Oct 12, 2009
- Venus Williams pulls out of China Open due to knee injury - Oct 02, 2010
- Safina supreme at top of WTA rankings - Jul 13, 2009
- Safina stays top in WTA rankings; Dementieva, Wozniacki move up - Sep 21, 2009
- Holder Serena Williams leads WTA rankings into Aussie Open - Jan 18, 2010
- Safina remains top of unchanged WTA rankings - Oct 05, 2009
- Safina heads unchanged women tennis rankings - Sep 28, 2009
- Serena spoils Russian sweep to claw into semis - Jan 28, 2009
- US Open: Wozniacki-Serena semifinal, Zvonareva falls - Sep 09, 2011
- Dominating Williams wins fourth Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
Tags: aces, australian open, break points, dinara safina, double faults, elena dementieva, ferocity, fifth game, ground strokes, jan 29, match point, melbourne, saturday night, semi finals, serena williams, sister venus, straight sets, three games, vera zvonareva, visor