Serbs protest Phelps victory, overruledAugust 16th, 2008 - 1:53 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 16 (DPA) The Serbian swimming team Saturday lodged an official protest against the result of the men’s 100m butterfly, which American superstar Michael Phelps won by one hundredth of a second against Serbian Milorad Cavic. But the protest was turned down. Phelps, for whom it was the seventh gold medal of the Games, won in a time of 50.58 secs, while Cavic was timed at 50.59.
The executive director of the sport’s governing body FINA Cornel Marculescu confirmed afterwards that the Serbian team had lodged an official written protest within the stipulated 30 minutes after the race.
“This was turned down and written reasons were given to the Serbian team. We also allowed them to look at the video footage of the swim.
“Although this is normally not permitted, we decided to do it to be transparent and to show that we have nothing to hide. The Serbians looked at it and were happy.”
Marculescu said that the Serbians could have appealed to the jury of appeal, but had not done so.
He added that Phelps was the greatest swimmer of all time. “He was going to win this race anyway. The only question was whether he was going to share the gold medal or get it on his own,” he said.
Phelps said that he had not been aware of the protest. “This is the first I hear of it.
“The timing system says it all. There has not really been an error in the timing system that I’ve heard of. I swam my best and as hard as I could.
“And I guess the board says I touched first.”
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- Phelps wins show-down in Foro Italica with world record - Aug 02, 2009
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- I want to change the sport of swimming: Phelps - Aug 16, 2008
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Six world records takes Rome total to 35 - Aug 01, 2009
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- In war of words with Cavic, Phelps lets his swimming talk - Aug 02, 2009
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Can anybody upstage Phelps in Rome? - Jul 22, 2009
- European swimming: Seven golds decided on penultimate day - May 27, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: 100m butterfly, 30 minutes, american superstar, beijing, cornel, dpa, executive director, fina, gold medal, governing body, michael phelps, milorad cavic, secs, serbians, swimmer, swimming team, victory, video footage, won by one, written protest