Serbia-Czech Republic in Fed Cup finalApril 23rd, 2012 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 23 (IANS) Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic won their reverse singles matches to take Serbia into the Fed Cup final for the first time, beating Russia 3-2.
Jankovic defeated two-time major champion Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-1, 6-4 Sunday, to give Serbia an unassailable 3-1 after Ivanovic put Serbia up 2-1, rallying from a set down to beat Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 3-6, 6-0, 6-3 in the first reverse singles.
Serbia will face defending champions Czech Republic in the final in November.
“It’s a historic moment for us,” Jankovic said. “I cannot even believe that we are in the final. We came a long way and I’m very happy we were able to win this match.”
The two teams shared opening singles Saturday, Jankovic beating Pavlyuchenkova, but Kuznetsova made it 1-1 beating Ivanovic in the second match.
Then Pavlyuchenkova and Elena Vesnina defeated Serbians Bojana Janovski and Aleksandra Krunic 6-4, 6-0, in the doubles match.
Serbia, who were in the semi-finals for the first time, were expected to beat Russia, four-time champions and winners in all three of their previous three meetings. The Russians,however, were without their two top players Maria Sharapova and Vera Zvonareva.
In Ostrava, Czech Republic, Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova took the hosts past Italy. The third-ranked Kvitova beat Francesca Schiavone 6-4, 7-6 (1) to give the Czechs an insurmountable 3-0 lead.
Sara Errani defeated Andrea Hlavackova 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 in the second reverse singles to give Italy their first victory in the rubber. But, Hlavackova teamed up with Lucie Hradecka to make it 4-1 after the final doubles against Errani and Flavia Pennetta, who had to retire at 5-6 because of a wrist injury.
In Saturday’s opening singles, Lucie Safarova defeated Schiavone 7-6 (3), 6-1 before Kvitova beat Errani 6-4, 6-3.
World Group, Semi-finals:
At Ostrava: Czech Republic bt Italy 4-1
At Moscow: Serbia beat Russia 3-2.
World Group play-offs (Winners qualify for World Group I in 2013 and losers contest World Group II):
At Tokyo: Japan bt Belgium 4-1.
At Kharkiv: United States beat Ukraine 5-0.
At Marbella: Slovakia beat Spain 3-2.
At Stuttgart: Australia beat Germany 3-2.
World Group II play-offs (Winners qualify for World Group II in 2013 and losers contest Zonal groups):
At Besancon: France beat Slovenia 5-0.
At Yverdon-les-Bains: Switzerland beat Belarus 4-1.
At Boras: Sweden beat Britain 4-1.
At Buenos Aires: Argentina bt China 4-1.
- Wimbledon: Errani thrashed by record-breaker Shvedova - Jun 30, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic sails into 3rd round - Jan 19, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- US Open: Radwanska ousted by Vinci - Sep 04, 2012
- Kvitova survives scare to reach Wimbledon second round (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- US Open singles results - Aug 31, 2012
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- US Open: Radwanska, Kerber, Venus ease into second round (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: aleksandra, ana ivanovic, czechs, fed cup, first victory, flavia pennetta, francesca schiavone, group play, jelena jankovic, maria sharapova, ostrava czech republic, play offs, sara errani, semi finals, svetlana kuznetsova, time champions, vera zvonareva, wimbledon champion, world group, wrist injury